I need opinions... Totaled Mercedes

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by a79Classic, May 13, 2008.

1. a79Classic

a79Classic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok.. I know this is a second gen board but like many of you.. I am asking for opinions on something other then a Camaro...

The Mercedes is my friends car. It was involved in a nasty accident on Sat. afternoon. Thanks god he pretty much ok with the exception of headache, neck and back pain.

My friend had slowed to maybe 5-10 mph (he was almost at a complete stop) since the Honda in front of him decided to turn into a used car lot to check out a vette they saw. My friend was struck from behind and in turn the Mercedes hit the Honda and totaled their car as well and spun them around. My friend said that when he looked back during breaking, that the truck was still a ways back but looked to be coming up fast and he said they had plenty ofroom to change over to the other lane... Well obeviously they didn't.. I said to him it looks to me they were doing a solid 60-65 mph..

The speed limit in the area the accident happened is 45 mph. It is a 4 lane roadway. The Officer I talked to mentioned that they give ALOT of tickets thru that area because so many folks speed thru there. He said it still does not seem to slow people down that much. He said alot of the tickets are for for 55 to 70 mph thru the area where this happened. I would like your "Opinions" as to how fast you think the guys that hit the Mercedes and caused the Mercedes to hit the Honda, were going to cause this much damage. Neither the Mercedes or the Honda were moved from when they came to rest after inpact.. (except the guys truck)

Here is what is left of the Mercedes.. Keep in mind it's a 1983 300SD Turbo Diesel.. This thing is about as close to a sherman tank as you can get.. lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you notice.. the guys grill from his pickup is up under the rear glass!!! there is metal damage all the way up to the rear window trim.. I still can't beleive that it didn't shatter like the Honda's did.. But then again this is the most solid car I have ever riden in.. a car this solid and this heavy and he STILL got 30 MPG!

[​IMG]

Front end damage

[​IMG]

The Honda's damage.. remember.. the guy that hit the Mercedes had to be going fast enough to total TWO cars..

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That WILL not buff out...:eek:

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

And.......
    Where's the truck pics?

The 25 year old Mercedes is a total..... Honda too. :(

Glad your friend wasn't serriously hurt!

What opinions were you looking for?

4. a79Classic

Tell me about it.. I noticed as I pulled away from the scene to follow the ambulance, that the guy hit the Mercedes it left score marks in the pavement where the trunk was pushed down into it..

Man.. I feel SO bad for him.. He had this car for 14 years and it has never let him down.. I think he's more upset with loosing the car then anything else.. That car's been thru hell and back with him.. What made it worse.. Just put a bunch of new parts into it not even two weeks ago.. figured it would run another 14 for him.. probably would have untill this.

5. a79Classic

I'd like to know how fast you thought the pickup was goin to cause all this damage..

They let the truck and driver leave before the cars were even towed off!!!! I am SO pissed!! They let him park it at the next driveway way out of site. I think they were hiding something myself.. The Driver of the truck was not the owner.. but the owner was in the passanger seat??.. They had three BBQ propane bottles that went flying onto the roadway when they hit.. Couple of real winners.. I wish like hell the officers had searched his truck.. The owner of the truck said.. it was our fault.. but the driver just stood there with his hands in his pocket like nothing had happened.. very calm.. what a tool.. One of the first things I said (might have yelled it) when I showed up when i saw the damage to the mercedes and honda was "Good god.. How F%^K'n fast were they going, WHAT THE F%^K???" (NOt realising the driver was behind me when I said that).. My friend said he(driver) looked to the ground when I said it..

Sorry If i'm rambling on a lil.. but this was a huge reality check.. Not easy seeing your best buds car trashed and him bruised and banged up.. we have been friends over 14 years and were close as family..

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are officers who do this for a living that can make a better judgement call on the speed.

I'm sure the one's on scene that responded will know.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Sadly, with the construction of today's cars, it doesn't take a lot of speed to total them like that. A few years ago, my Brother was involved in an accident similar to that. He was stopped at a stop light with his 1/2 ton Chevy pickup. A 1 ton Ford pickup rearended him and threw the Chevy forward into the rear of a ricer. Like the Honda in your pictures, the ricer was totalled. The Chevy pickup with a full frame had the rear bumper torn off, and the box pushed forward enough to kink the rear corners of the cab. The Ford pickup had front end damage that was fixable just like the Chevy pickup. The ricer with no frame was totalled and destined to be melted down and made into beer cans.
    Speed isn't much of a factor anymore with the cars built today. They are designed to crumble and be replaced. Neither the Mercedes or the Honda stood a chance against a full size pickup with a steel frame.

8. a79Classic

It was a rusty 86 toyota pickup.. Sorry.. I didn't realize I had left that out..

9. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

I think they are built to crumple to absorb the impact so your body doesnt have to. Its better to replace a car than fix broken bones. I understand even the seats are designed to collapse. Glad to here he wasnt hurt that bad. Jim

10. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

I fixed it for you-Sherman Tanks were tin cans compared to the mighty German armor.