I think i'm done...

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by MoarThrottle, Jun 12, 2020.

1. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

I just spent almost a ton of money at the shop getting a vacuum pump installed and the brakes sorted out and some welding work that i couldn't do at home.
    I get it home it stalls out in the parking lot in front of my garage. I had to push it in the garage and now it won't turn over.

I haven't driven this damn car 100 miles in the 8 years i've owned it. I'm tired of just pouring money away for something that isn't rewarding me. And living in Denver with the new emissions rules i don't know if it will pass emissions. Not to mention i can't really do any work on it living in an apt complex, even with a garage. I don't know if i want this car anymore...
    :(

2. shanghai Kid

shanghai Kid Veteran Member

70-73?

3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

The OP posted in the 78-81 Specific forum, so I don't think so but I'm sure he will clarify.

Don't throw in the towel. Just step away for a few days. Talk to the shop in a few days and see if maybe they disconnected something and didn't put it back. Or take a look and see if something has come loose. It may be a simple fix. A lot of us are in similar situations. Maybe not as far as living arrangements, but having these cars for years and even decades and just slowly working on them or having them worked on. Tons of money and still not driveable. But that's part of the dream. Someday, it will happen. Don't let the car kick your ass. Kick the car's ass.

As far as emissions in your city, do your research carefully. A lot of cars past a certain age are exempt. They could never pass these emissions tests for newer vehicles and that's why they are exempt.

A bit of inspiration from Bruce Campbell.

MoarThrottle and Zstar like this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Leave it in the garage and walk away for a bit. See if you feel the same way after a while. Frustration has a way of messing with the thought process, let that fade away before you make the call. IMO

MoarThrottle and Zstar like this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I feel your pain , and aggravation , be like that cat and hang in there, like everyone else mentioned , step back, I did multiple changes at once as well, and the results were a disaster, I will never do that again, as it is so difficult to discern, the root cause of my issues, and then work backwards , after you take a deep breath, you can make it happen!! And eliminate the issue, or issues.

MoarThrottle likes this.
  6. Rudolph Schenker

Rudolph Schenker New Member

Give it a few weeks to let the frustration settle, then re-evaluate.:bowtie:

MoarThrottle likes this.
  7. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

Thanks for your words guys. I just closed the garage and didn't even look at it for a few days. And i'm not done yet! My old man put some work into it and that's something i put a lot of value on.
    I'll try and figure out what happened. But my fear is it may have overheated, and fubar'd the block or something.

Going over it in my mind i remember seeing the gauge in the red. But the gauges on that cluster have never been accurate as far as i know. There's no puddle on the ground. I'll start testing FAS, the coolant looked good so hopefully i can resurrect the old beast.

Oh and Shanghi Kid its an '80. Colorado changed their classic car emissions a few years ago so that it only includes 1975 and older as exempt. It used to be 25 years old and older vehicles were considered classics. Now older vehicles still have a different test, we can opt for a 2 stage idle test for emissions or get the dyno test. I'm not sure which is more intensive. And i live in a county that participates in the states emissions scam...erm i mean testing for earth loving.
    The guys at the shop think my cam is too lopey to pass emissions, but i've heard with some tuning and maybe some E85 it could pass. I'll burn that bridge when i get to it again. Back to square 1.

dave@ztech and BillyDean7173 like this.
  8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Glad to hear you're going to stick with it. Me and my dad worked on my 71 a little, so I hear you on that. Means a lot to me, too. Plus, I gave him the ride of his life and he about pissed himself. Call it a little payback, lol. He was a Ford guy so that made it sweeter. :bowtie:

Zstar and MoarThrottle like this.
  9. steve78LT

steve78LT Veteran Member

Back in the day, before mine was old enough to not need an emissions test, the trick was to run your gas down really low and pour a quart of isopropyl rubbing alcohol in the tank, then drive straight to the inspection station. I used to save the tickets showing I blew 0.00% CO.

MoarThrottle and BillyDean7173 like this.