I will just leave this here.....

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
That's not circle track, it's a demolition derby. And yes, it made me very ill, I could not watch but about 15 seconds.
Bless them Lord, for they know not what they have done.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Back in the mid 70s, when the fake gas shortage hit, thousands of SS Chevelles got sold off for $200-$500 each. The circle track guys bought them up, put in small block engines, and ran them on our local dirt track until there was nothing left of them. Nobody wanted the big blocks because they had poor fuel ecomomy.

carr911

Veteran Member
Mar 4, 2016
Tampa, FL
Back in the mid 70s, when the fake gas shortage hit, thousands of SS Chevelles got sold off for $200-$500 each. The circle track guys bought them up, put in small block engines, and ran them on our local dirt track until there was nothing left of them. Nobody wanted the big blocks because they had poor fuel ecomomy.

the Guy that I bought my '57 Vette paid $50 for it during that Gas Crunch

arm2004

Veteran Member
May 5, 2017
S.E. Ohio
Did anybody make it to 7:30 in the video to see why you only run full frame cars in derbys? Back in the early 90s around here the Modified class in dirt track started to take off- The cars had spec tires a $500 motor buy out it was a good class to start out racing. The problem with the class- they had to use a stock sub frame from a F body or Nova then tube chassis back. I can not count how many good Camaro's had the sub frame taken out and the shell crushed- That and the street stock class racers loved the Chevy leaf spring cars of the 70s mainly Camaro's and Nova's. Then wath was left Cash for Clunkers took care of the rest.

On a driffrent note if you like derby's check out the 3 day event at Ross County fair grounds in Chillicothe Ohio. Here is a link to one of the best with no sandbaggers in the class

or head across the pond ( some real idiots here)

If that is not your taste check out the down hill barbie jeep racing for some good laughs

Last edited:

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
That's not circle track, it's a demolition derby. And yes, it made me very ill, I could not watch but about 15 seconds.
Bless them Lord, for they know not what they have done.

I'm at the "Circle Tracks" all the time, great racing, same tracks have Demo derbies at the end of the year, it's absolutely packed, but it's a once a year thing, and a completely different crowd, no true DIRT track fans for the most part.

Spend time fixing cars/racecars, the last thing you need is to watch a slow moving mash up. Boring as heck.

With 600hp, 2350# car/driver on tacky clay, and 1/4 miles times in the mid 12 second zone, ya, it's good. Toss in 410 WOO Sprints running mid 10's in the 1/4 mile, it's crazy.

358 DIRT Mod.jpg

Latest posts