Ideas for a Post-Restoration Road Test Checklist

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CDesperado, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I would agree with the above. Check all suspension parts for torque. After you get some confidence and drive it a bit, re torque all nuts and bolts.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I would "nut and bolt" EVERYTHING before I drove it. I sometimes get distracted (phone call, lunch etc) when I'm in the middle of something important.

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

It was already said but...fire extinguisher. Always in car.

I would add check all fasteners in your steering components from steering wheel to the front rims.
    Brakes. Make sure they grab before even taking car off the stands.
    Carburetor. Make sure return spring works and there are two of them. Make linkage does not catch on anything like the air cleaner lid.

4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

During the build, I started to leave lists attached to the car in areas I was working, checking stuff off as I go.
    Sometimes, I use wide blue tape with sharpie notes attached to the outside of the car.

5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I like to use a paint pen to mark fasteners that have been torqued, like manufacturers do. It seems I can forget within 30 seconds! o_O

xten and gramps like this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Belts.
    Check them for proper tension before and after the test drives.

7. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

CDesperado, It's always good to be prepared, but try not to overthink it. It sounds like you are on the right track. Certainly when working on things over time, some things like lubing the new ball joints, or filling the rear end can get left behind, but this should be a pleasurable drive, not a teeth gritting "what's going to go wrong" event. I always start slowly and stay within pushing distance, then branch out further but within the "I can tow this home with a chain" radius. Then when all is well, your ready to venture out to the $120 tow truck hookup range. ;)

Relax, enjoy and take it easy on the first few outings. That's what it's all about. Oh, and check the u-bolts and lube on your U-Joints. Don't want to lose a driveshaft.

Have Fun !

(and lets see some pics)

--

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Drive shaft bolts tight. I was in a car that a buddy just put a trans in. Got about a mile from the shop. Boom rattle rattle. Drive shaft rolling down the road. LOL.

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did the short drive, short drive, short drive, then longer drive, longer drive, even longer drive when I finished mine, looking car over after each one, retorquing suspension components, checking engine mounts and trans to eng bolts, trans mounts, after the short drives. Stayed off freeways for a bit till I felt comfortable that I did everything right or fixed anything I over looked. I still always make sure I have a cell phone with me when I drive the Z, something I don't do jumping in the Explorer to run to the store.

10. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unfortunately, I am squarely in the teeth-gritting phase right now. I feel like I am just chasing problems around the car right now, which would be fine, but I still have less than 10 miles on it. I've had a number of issues that I've had to identify and fix.

Btw... the lube on the ball joints and checking the U-joint are great suggestions.