If It Weren't for Bad Luck...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Jan 13, 2021.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

....you know the rest.

Had a drain blockage in my (slab foundation) home. 2nd bath and kitchen both backing up. Removed toilet and ran a flat iron pipe snake down until it stopped. Worked it back and forth with no luck. Couldn't clear the blockage. Called in a pro.

He ran an electric auger down. When he brought it back out, there was a little mud on it...which is not good. Recommended running a camera down just to be sure...I agreed. Sure enough, camera shows the pipe wall is busted in a tee fitting right under the wall between my master bath shower wall and laundry room.

So....shower has to be removed (likely will have to cut it up to remove it), tile pulled up, concrete cut/busted out and likely a portion of drywall to access and replace the tee fitting. Then of course patching it all back up and a whole new shower installed. The company I used is going to give me an estimate...of course I will get a few more. Off to an expensive new year.

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Man, Goldenone! That sucks. Sorry for ya, man. That's a biggie, there.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

This is why I prefer a crawl space under the house instead of a slab. That really sucks!! I feel for you it’s not going to be cheap. Good luck.

4. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Had something similar this fall. Hope it not too bad. I still have some square cutouts in my sheetrock they made while searching for the leak. It can get pricy quick.
    Good luck.

5. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

EDIT:
    Wasn't thinking correctly...you have a drain/sewer problem.

When my dad's house developed a slab leak he had the house replumbed through the roof/attic space.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thats fine for MOST....except you cant plumb the DRAIN through the ceiling...

7. M1 Master Gunner

M1 Master Gunner Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I went out to my shop on Thanksgiving afternoon and had about of inch of water standing on the entire floor and I don't have the shop plumbed. The water was bubbling up through the seam in the concrete from where I added on. My shop is located between the well and the house. The pipe evidently burst under the shop floor. So $6500 later I have new water line and electrical wire line-bored the entire 325 feet from the well to the house. I felt lucky to get by with that small of a bill and they had it completed the day after Thanksgiving to boot!

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Spirit In Black

Sorry to hear about that. Good luck with the repairs.

I had a scare when we were in the middle of selling our old house, contract pending. We were on city sewer. Started having backup in the toilet and when we would do a load of wash, it would back up in the tub. Ran a snake in the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. No luck. Poured Liquid Lightning everywhere. No luck, except some burn holes in my t-shirt. Pulled the toilet out and ran a bigger snake. No luck. Had the city come by and they ran a camera down to the junction of their line and the main from the house. No luck. All I could think about is a line broke under the slab. I was about to kiss the contract goodbye. This in February 2007, just before the housing crash and we already bought a new house. So I had two mortgages and the houses were 60 miles apart.

My master plumber brother-in-law told me to check the clean-out cap for the main line coming from the house. Besides feeling stupid for not thinking about the cap, I couldn't find it in the yard. Ten years in the house, never saw it, never thought about it. He told me to look at the vents coming out of the roof and the bathroom wall and it should be in that yard area lining up between the house and the city's sewer line. After digging up a lot of my side yard, I finally found it. Turns out the cap was buried about five inches underground. The screw-in cap had cracked and been popped off (yep, hard to believe but true) by a Cottonwood tree root about the size of my pinky. When the root got inside the line, it fanned out towards the house and the sewer line. I got my hand in there and pulled out the roots towards the house. It looked like some slimy alien fetus. Really gave me the creeps. Took some pics because the mass looked so freaky. However, the side towards the street and sewer line had a drop off because the yard sloped and I couldn't get my hand down there. Had to call Roto Rooter to come out use their auger with a cutting blade to clean it out. Problem solved, house sold.

As far as the new year, my wife started it off with a bang. She caused a fender bender with our one-year-old 2020 Honda CR-V on New Year's day. In the shop getting repaired. Always something.

9. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

You guys with labs better count your balls! IMG_5644.JPG

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Didn't hear back about the estimate yet. Maybe I will tomorrow.

So, just to toss up a Hail Mary, I called my insurance guy....just to see what he'd say. We've been good friends for a long time, so I knew he would shoot me straight. Since water didn't back up and cause any damage to floors, drywall, etc...this would not he eligible for a claim. Oh well.

My house is only 4 years old...this SHOULD NOT be an issue so soon...or at all really. My next call will be to the builder. Of course all the literature I got when we took possession of the house clearly says that there's just a 1 year warranty on it....so I almost know exactly how that conversation will go. Still worth a shot.