If you were my right front shock...why would you break?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by biker, Sep 12, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Out for a cruise today to try out the new rear leafs. Going slow on a side road, maybe 40 mph and hit a normal sized pothole, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing any car shouldn't be able to handle.
    Heard a big clunk, and watched something tumble out from under the car. Wheeled back to look for the piece and it turned out to be the top portion of RF shock absorber rod. Looked under the hood, and there is the busted shock rod poking through its hole in the frame. Busted off the entire threaded portion.

Front shocks are Bilsteins. Good shocks, only thing I can think of is that they were not designed to handle the 2" drop Hotchis coils. I do have bump stops, but maybe the shock bottomed out before the bump stop hit.

Any ideas?

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I would take out the left shock and look for fractures on the upper rod,it may not be far behind.

I agree with your thinking, the shocks may be stacking up solid just as the bump stops hit, I would measure what you have at ride height as far as shock install distance, then measure the shock, and see how much travel you have to full compression, figure in the motion ratio, you may in fact have shocks that are too long.

I have a 2" drop front, and use "shorter" shocks to deal with that from VariShock, stock shocks were too long.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok good. I definitely thought about the left one too. Gonna replace all 4 with the right length, and valving for my springs.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would be surprised with the Bilstein's had a problem with a 2" drop, they have decent travel and I've certainly seen them used in that application before. It could have just been a fluke.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've had the same setup for years, no issues. You have bump stops?

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah been down that road before. NOT all manufacturers use the same numbers :eek:
    Like the rears...I had to put extension on the top as when the car would hook up (slapper bars and 4 speed) the shocks would bottom out on extension and unload the tires. (very surprised i didn't tear them up as it took many practices to figure out wth was happening)

7. streak

streak Member

It bottomed out. Stock travel is only maybe 6", you took 1/3 away. So it's out of its optimal performance zone anyways. It could handle 1", at 2" you look for something else in the catalog. That's also why the coilover kits sell extended travel upper mounts for people wanting 2-3" drops.

Zstar likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

I do have the smaller bump stops that come with the Hotchkis springs. I figure those would get smacked before the shocks bottomed.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Agreed. It's the only thing that makes sense. I've seen other similar combos that work, but working a shock outside its optimal range is just asking for trouble. Especially since I live in some rough country, the roads are tough on parts.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

I'm going to call Hotchkis tomorrow, but I can't find a shock offered by them that states it is for lowered springs. In fact, the only one they offer for our cars states "for 0 drop front and rear". In fairness, it doesn't state that on their site, but on the site of a Canadian distributor.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021