If you were my right front shock...why would you break?

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
20210915_155923.jpg
20210915_155908.jpg
20210915_155859.jpg

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Looks like maybe the shaft hit the side of the hole in the frame while in full bind. I think that's what that mark is on the side.

cadillac_al

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maine
It's been quite a while since I changed shocks on a GM RWD vehicle. I used to break the threads off on front shocks because it was easier than fighting a rusty nut while the shaft is turning. They aren't all that strong. I guess yours got a little extra stress somehow or it was just defective.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Yes, they are very hard, but brittle and intolerant of any flexion. I guess mine flexed.

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Just pulled the trigger on 4 Hotchkis (Fox) rebound adjustable gas shocks.

Edit - I see you actually purchased the adjustable shocks, whereas I purchased the non-adjustable, so my question is likely moot.

Hi, have you installed these yet? I also ordered some to go with the Hotchkis suspension I'll be installing over winter (well, front springs are in and I'm waiting for the rears to come in). Wondering how you find the ride quality of these shocks on the street?

Last edited:

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Mine still haven't arrived! Supposed to be delivered 3 weeks ago. I really debated over the adjustable vs non. Hotchkis tech guy I spoke with said the non-adjustable are excellent and he has them on his 79.
I just figured I'd pop for adjustable since always like tinkering with things.