If You're 40+...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dave Nelson, Dec 4, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Fitty-five here. You young punks.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Smart man. I tell all the young guys to do this. [email protected]& the macho you can lift it stuff. I'm living proof you'll live to regret it.

budro6968, Zstar, 1972_Z-28 and 2 others like this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

I always said if I can get my hands on it, I can lift it. For the most part that has been true. Still is. I've paid for it a few times, but lifting is my hobby and I learned my limits long ago.
    However, I wont let anyone within my field of vision lift anything stupid. I've been lucky, and like KD says above, most regret it immediately and sometimes for life.

Smokey15 likes this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Yeah, lifting weights in a controlled situation where you can use correct body geometry is a little different then what I'm talking about. Lifting trans/transfer case assemblies to replace the clutch because the boss sold a job we weren't equipped for and is threatening your job it if doesn't get done is more of the example I had in mind. I should have told them to get [email protected]&^ED but the boomers taught me company first. I should have been like Mav from the start.

5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Bunch of youngsters here. I hit 70 December 21.
    I was telling a few of my 'younger friends' about the equipment I had one pizza shop I sold. I told them the mixer was a 1944. One smart-ass friend asked if I bought it new.

brooksman9, green 1977 and Zstar like this.
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I agree. You have to do both if you want to be good at either. I started in truck tire shops. We lifted tires all day, competed with each other flipping loader tires at lunch, then I lifted weights at night. Tire shop guys are the strongest guys I have ever met. Then I discovered strongman competitions. Lifting and running with rocks, logs, lifting vehicles, pulling trucks, pressing odd stuff overhead. It's the best of both worlds and makes u bulletproof if you dont snap in half.

gas and guns likes this.
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Human nature to rationalize that the guy that ended up jacked up did it wrong and you're protected because of this or that. I'm glad you don't suffer any ill effects.

And FYI because I don't want to be misunderstood, I'm not trying to poo poo body builders and power lifters. Nothing wrong with that sport/hobby. Most of those guys are damn smart about how and when they lift. I'm strictly talking about lifting weird stuff at bad angles or not getting the tool/lift to do the work for you. Too many times as a young man I was taunted into lifting stuff I had no business lifting because the shop owner/manager just wanted the job done and didn't care about the long term effects on the employees health.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Zstar likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Oh I totally get it. I'm just saying that having an interest and learning to lift odd things and training regularly has taught me my limits and prepared me for transmissions, transfer cases, hydraulic cylinders and the like.
    There are naturally super strong guys who will fall victim to what you said. Feeling invincible and lifting crazy stuff instead of working smart. You can get away with that from about 16-25 years of age, but after that, if you dont train, something horrible is going to happen.
    No offense taken here at all, hard to totally get a point across pecking away at a tablet. Bodybuilders....ugh...not my thing. Instill eat what I want, drink beer and dont shave below my neck.
    Edit...and when I say train, I dont mean the joe weider looking in the mirror "workout". Training with field stones, logs, tires, hammers, cabers, sleds, fire hydrants, sand bags, kegs.

Zstar likes this.
  9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

When I was was younger Im 64 now. I drove CDL truck for a very long time .And I did work out while I could .But because of delivery office supplies and furniture and the hours I worked.I lifted some and moved some very heavy items like fireproof file cabinet .desk and copy paper .Most of the time by myself .Upstairs .You just had to "work smart" and utilize what had ,And even though I wasnt all "buffed out" liked those who did work out like they did .I could lift just a much as they could.

10. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Biker said, "Edit...and when I say train, I dont mean the joe weider looking in the mirror "workout". Training with field stones, logs, tires, hammers, cabers, sleds, fire hydrants, sand bags, kegs."

Hammers and cabers? Dayuumm. Very cool.