Ignition opinions please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Greg73Z28, May 18, 2011.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 73 Z28 failed me last night for the first time ever. Me and the kids were just cruising down the road at 40 mph when it just quit, like I had turned the key off. Coasted into a parking lot to check things out and it appeared to have no fire. Checked that I had voltage to the coil, which I did. After about 10 minutes or so, I turned the key and it fired right up and drove home with no problems.

Engine is a bone stock L82 motor with a pertronix ignitor ignition installed in the stock distributor along with a flamethrower coil. Had this setup for more than five years with no troubles, but after a quick look, it is the only thing that I can think of that would fail like that. Motor had only been running 10 minutes and it was cool out so it was not completely up to operating temp yet.

I think I am going to swap out that Pertronix unit. My question is does anybody have any opinions or stories, good or bad, about the aftermarket point elimination systems out there (Pertronix, Accel, Crane or others). My Pertronix unit is the old origingal one and I see where they have added a couple of newer styles to their lineup since I got this one. Saw a few posts last night on the crane set up with the rev limiter that were positive. Just interested in tapping the vast experiences here before dropping cash on a bad setup. Looking for dependable stock performance type performance since this is a stock original cruiser application. Thanks in advance folks.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Do a search for "Pertronix fail" over on www.chevelles.com

I remember reading there that failures like you experienced are quite common with the Pertronix. For cars being driven only a few miles a year, the original points are more reliable than the Pertronix conversion.

3. SavingTheBird76

SavingTheBird76 Veteran Member

I bought a rebuilt HEI from Federated auto parts,ran about $100.
    No issues.

4. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Gary. Some good info over there. I have read some complaints about poor idle quality with the Crane XR-i. Has anybody used this setup? The Pertronix Ignitor 3 requires that I do away with the resistence wire in the original engine harness while the crane unit does not require this. This alone makes the Crane unit more desireable. Any info here will help.