Ignition switch mounting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Bigblockscott, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Bigblockscott

Bigblockscott Member

Hey everyone, Over the weekend I took my steering column apart to clean and paint it.Factory 1970 column, non tilt, auto. When I began the disassembly process the ignition switch, mounted low on the column, was missing. Now I have everything back together and went to install a new ignition switch, Standard Motors Products #US95, but I am a little confused on how it is supposed to engage the rod coming from the key switch. My rod sticks straight out, I feel like it needs to be bent 90*, but when I try do that I feel like something is going to break. Can someone please enlighten me, hopefully with some pictures so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

It kind of like a rubrics cube. Turn the switch so that the part with the red arrow is facing down on the column. The switch will fit over the rod. Do not bend the rod to try and make it fit. Hope this helps.

2429DF17-2142-4ABC-AB31-CA4AB187286A.jpeg

3. Bigblockscott

Bigblockscott Member

Green Hornet....Thanks, after I stepped back from it for a day or so I got it figured out.