I'll Take It From Here - '70 RS

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
I got a couple of days to dig deeper into this little beauty! I'll drop a few pix here and get more specific questions posted in specific Forums. Thanks, in advance, for any guidance provided....

It seems that the "lower" steering column bearing has failed. Is that the correct part description? Camaro Central shows an item, but my Assembly Manuals don't call it out. Opinions? How tough of a task is it to replace?

Based on the side profile, it appears I have a Saginaw transmission. Image of stampings on passenger side. Can anyone point me to how to identify it and get the gear ratios? Is there any chance this was original to a '70 RS model?

The main crossmember has been cut away to make room for fuel pump fittings!!!!! There had to be a better way, right?

small IMG_4191.JPG

small IMG_4154.JPG

small saginaw IMG_4186.JPG

small IMG_4161.JPG

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
Then you probably already know an in-line diode will fix it. ;)
I may not need any diodes after all...even though I already bought some! Previous owner had a secret kill switch under the dash with direct battery power feeding the MSD box o_O. I pulled both Neg and Pos off the battery and it STILL ran.

I believe that a Pink wire coming off the Key circuit is switched. I will re-route to that and see what happens.

This car has a single wire alternator and I am not seeing much info on that as it relates to MSD issues.

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
My '70RS is now with me in my pop-up workshop (in lieu of being 3 hours away in a friend's barn!). My first car show is June 4th. My list of things to get done by then is kind of intimidating - but I'm going to give it my best shot. I'll post updates. I have most parts already on hand. Included a few images of current condition. As always....guidance and recommendations will be appreciated.

1651794618215.png

LR IMG_4317.JPG

LR IMG_4318.JPG

LR IMG_4319.JPG

LR IMG_4321.JPG

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
Made some good progress. Door weatherstrips and window felts complete. Dash completely out, as are all heating components in prep for Vintage Air install. Intermediate shaft on steering column complete - waiting till after Vintage Air to re-install steering column. Removed lower rear window trim and cleaned out a bunch of debris. Not sure where the leak is - nothing obvious. Ordered new clips. New dash & gauge bezel (Camaro Central), new gauges (NVU) and misc parts (NPD) ready for install once Vintage Air complete. Previous owner did crappy respray of interior parts, so, since I had to cut the Passenger side kick panel for the V/A hoses, I am going to refinish them with SEM Landau black. Finding lots of light rust under things I have removed - more sanding and touch up.

1653193638931.png

Latest posts