illegal in TX to shave side markers????

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by QUAKE_WARS, May 26, 2011.

1. joshp01

joshp01 Veteran Member

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead but no it does not have to be stock to be registered as a antique. If you register it this way you do not have to have marker lights.

2. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will give my .02:

Texas Transportation code Sec 547.3215 states "Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:

1) The current federal standards in 49 CFR section 571.108, or
    2) The federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

It's true that as an antique you don't have to have the car state safety inspected; however, you CAN be cited for modifying the vehicle. In reality, will you ever get stopped and cited?....PROBABLY not.... But if you ARE stopped, and tell the officer he CAN'T cite you....I would venture to guess you will have an upcoming court date!

Personally, I would never stop or write a ticket like that.....but I know others that might.

I think that if you remove the side markers, unless you do something really stupid and get stopped by an officer that knows Camaros very well....he/she will never even know you modified the car.

Keep in mind that REGISTRATION is not the same as safety/equipment requirements. If you use the vehicle in a public roadway, I would refer to the section I quoted above.

3. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That will work great.....until you get stopped by one that DOES know Camaros!