I'm about to blow a gasket... (dealership rant)

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
So my 2017 Sierra has been having an issue with giving me a service trailer brake system warning for the last few weeks. So since i pull my 20ft all steel trailer with my 5000ish lb tractor on it on a fairly regular basis I decided to put in the shop to get it looked at as well as get a recall on the braking system effort taken care of that I have been getting notices for at least 6 months about. So i dropped it off Wed. after work for its appt. Thursday, everything went well and service writer said I will talk to you tomorrow to let you know what we find.

Thursday: Not a peep, never heard a word.

Friday: 9:15 another service writer calls that the truck needs a battery. Tells me it has a dead cell. I say so truck wont start? "Well no it starts." Ok well it doesnt have a bad cell then or it wouldnt do that. "Well sir it is extremely discharged!" Thats funny because the truck sets in my shop for over a week between startups routinely as I have an older truck I drive to work everyday. "Well sir I dont know it is just discharged some its what the tech is telling me" Doesnt that seem odd that the battery is bad but everything functions normally? Did you guys leave the key on and run the battery dead or something? "Well sir it tests slightly low on cold cranking amps." Voltage and everything is good though? "i'm not sure sir I just have that the cca's are only at 650 should be 700." But everything is starting and working fine? "I believe so" Well then no I am not paying $240 for a battery. "Ok, your service writer will call you as soon as she gets in" Ok sounds good.

3:30 I get off work and call to check status. My service writer is again not available but guy that answers phone says let me see where its at for you. Looks like it is done and your service writer should be calling you in a half hour or so once she gets paper work done.

No contact the rest of the day.

Saturday: try to call service dept. closed on sat.

Monday: 11a.m. I call again and get "my service writer" and I ask for status. She says well we cant do anything until it gets a battery it just has a bunch of low voltage errors because it needs a battery. So again I ask does the truck start and run? "Well I dont know sir" So I ask her to find out what is going on with it and what are the symptoms. " i will call you right back"
11:35 finally she calls back. "Well the truck starts and runs fine but computer is just full of low voltage messages. Rattles off every major system in the truck. " But the truck runs and has no messages and everything works? "yes sir" Doesnt that seem odd to you that it never throws a single light for ANY of these systems? " well i dont really know but the battery was low on CCA's so its going to need a battery before we do anything more" That makes no sense that the truck never throws codes or errors but now its so full of them you cant do anything plus it starts and drives fine with no issues on any of these systems besides the trailer brake system. "i dont know sir, it needs a battery" Ok lets make a deal then, go ahead and put that battery in but if that doesnt fix it I am not paying you for it! " Well I cant do that sir, you will have to speak to a manager about that" Please have them call me this is getting ridiculous! " Ok sir I will have him call you" Thanks

1:45 here currently still waiting on a phone call...

Last edited:

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
So.......they left the key on and the doors open repeatedly, everything threw a code, they let it run for awhile and now there are just latent codes?
I wonder if it ever occurred to them to just put the battery on a charger. They had it long enough to charge and/or load test your battery and, I'll bet, they have the tools to do it.

Last edited:

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
^^^^ computer didn't say "charge the battery before further testing".....typical chit!!.... I would stop by and grab the battery, charge it then return and put it in then say..." here ya go....fix my brake recall"

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Well I will tell you guys that most of the techs out there are not worth a darn. Most are just plain "stupid". I worked as a GM trouble shooter for years and I found out the more you know the worse work you get. Low voltage in a system has nothing to do with the way it starts, there is a problem that could be from a module or a poor ground or even a power loss due to high resistance in the wiring someplace. This stuff is not that hard to diag unless you are one of the car runner idiots who think they are hot shot techs that the dealer bring in.

Well I will tell you guys that most of the techs out there are not worth a darn. Most are just plain "stupid". I worked as a GM trouble shooter for years and I found out the more you know the worse work you get. Low voltage in a system has nothing to do with the way it starts, there is a problem that could be from a module or a poor ground or even a power loss due to high resistance in the wiring someplace. This stuff is not that hard to diag unless you are one of the car runner idiots who think they are hot shot techs that the dealer bring in.

EXACTLY what he said!!!!! MOST are just plain STUPID!! I know this first hand also.:eek:

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
99% of the time a low voltage code IS from a drained battery. It doesn't make the battery bad and who knows when they set. But with multiple modules reporting a historic low voltage it's pretty much a lock the battery was drained at one point.

They should be able to do the brake reprogram recall with the battery on the charger if they insist the battery is defective. You know once they change the battery out they'll claim they can't find any issues with the trailer brake system because everything reset. IMO, take it home, charge the battery and take it to a different dealer for the recall and diagnostics on the trailer brake. I'd bet my left nut they left the key on in the drive and had to jump it and are now using the low voltage stuff to get out of actually having to diagnose a problem and not just change some parts.

Life is too short to deal with azzholes that can't be bothered to call back or make an effort.

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
So after it starts and the alternator has the system at 14+ volts, it still has low voltage codes? Can't they clear those low voltage codes and see what comes back?

Latest posts