I'm ready to surrender to the LS world!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dougs79Z28, May 29, 2012.

1. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

You'll have the biggest smile on your face when you take it out on the road. You really need to take advantage of the fuel injection and computer to really enjoy it, fuel management for performance and fuel economy.

2. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Fuel economy? I can't speak for everyone, but I doubt many people who still own one of these cars still use it as their daily transportation. It's a toy/fun car. I personally could care less what my mpg is. It's my spm (smiles per mile) that count.

3. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK- so I am finding some engines (LY6). I can get one for $1200 out of an 08 Chevy Van but no accessories. $2000 out of an 08 Suburban complete w/ acc. I'm guessing the acc are worth the extra 800? I will need to buy a different oil pan for it to work. Is the LY6 my best engine to track down? I feel that may be a loaded question!

4. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can get a NEW accessory set up from Pace (and others) for around $800. Note that the new factory AC compressor may not be compatible with old or aftermarket AC. A lot of people add a Kwik relocation bracket set up and Sanden compressor.

5. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok- I have found an 08 Suburban HD 4x4. Engine still in so I can hear it run. Confirming what I need to tell them to leave attached - starter, Ac, ps, alt. --will the radiator work (fit) in my car?

6. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

That tranny might be worth the hassel of getting a 2wd tailshaft iirc it should be a 4l85e or 6l90e

7. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

OK so I will chime in. I like the LS motors.

Roller cam, roller rockers, 15 degree heads, 6 bolt mains, basic alumimum heads that out flow the best SBC corvette heads.Revised port location for better flow. Alumimum blocks or iron.One coil for each cylinder.11:1 on 91 octane speaks for the great head design.

Timing light? I don't need no stinking timing light. A lap top yes.

My 500 hp L92 gets 22 mpg. The TKO 600 helps.

So far ahead of the classic sbc it's not even close.

Just my .02.

8. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

I couldn't have said it better amen brother

+1

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's most likely an LY6 6.0L Vortec engine since it's an HD. Great starter engine IMO.

As for accessories, I think it's easier to use the car accessories in the 2nd gens.
    So I'd just keep the starter. The Vortec accessory bracket isn't going to be easy to use.
    I know the truck alternators are pretty big.

If you're seeking a budget accessory set, search for any of the cars on Car Part where you can buy the
    accessories as a group off a wrecker. It will cost far less then the $800 for the new set. Some wire
    wheeling and paint and it's like new in appearance.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do get the ECU and harness. That stuff can nickle and dime you to death. I agree, grab as much of the Burb as you can. I doubt the radiator will fit, it may be too wide and tall for a 2Gen camaro....just judging by the radiator in my Silverado.