I'm ready to surrender to the LS world!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by dougs79Z28, May 29, 2012.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, definitely ECU and harness.

It's better (IMO anyways) to modify the factory ECU's then to buy the locked out aftermarket one's.
    Unless they're now allowing the aftermarket one's to be modded.

But the factory one's are so cheap and a dime a dozen.
    You can grab a few and keep one as a backup, or keep different tunes on em for when you don't have your laptop handy.

2. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh boy! Guess no turning back now. Just bought it with all attached accessories and harness. I plan on going carb set up so there will be stuff i don't need (intake stuff). Will try to go tomorrow- he wants me to hear it run in the car before they pull it. About 1.5 hr drive each way- but I guess I should hear it run before final transaction.
    Will probably install mostly as is due to $$. Can always mill heads/change cam later down the road. May needd to boly up to my super t-10 for now too unless it looks like I can afford the 200r4 from Bowtie or Jake. Will add pictures to this thread as things unfold. My friend that owns a shop here just finished putting a 5.3 ls in an 81 z and is now pretty well versed on what needs to be done on all the little things. Soooo- here we go!:) :bowtie: :)

3. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

Once again my .02. I know you guys can hardly wait!

If going injected buy the plug and play harness from guys like Howell or Spear Tech. I'm not a tech guy from either house, just know their stuff plugs in and works. There are other suppliers out there but these are the guys I know.

All custom ecm and harness will need a dyno/road tune to get it right. Injected tunes are setup not to burn down your motors with a lean tune.

I just pulled the 350 ls1 from my 67 Nova to install a stroked LS2 427. Had a 24 tooth Howel harness. Called them to explain what I was doing. They knew what I needed at a very resaonable cost for the harness changes. Fired it up Wednesday night. Primed the fuel rails and it's scary how quick it runs. Can't hardly get your hand off the key quick enough.

Stock harness will mean the computer in the engine compartment. Aftermarket can be any length.

The Spear Tech harness for my L92 places the computer behind the glove box.

Good luck with the swap. It is the best going.

4. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Congrats. attach pictures when able to we can see

5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I was telling my co-worker just yesterday that when I get my 71 finished I'm going to use it as a daily quite a bit. I may not drive it every day....but in clear weather I'm gonna drive the wheels off it. It's def getting driven to work 2-3 days a week.

I'm not going to be one of those guys that brings his car out of the cave once every few months to drive it. I did this with my corvette and never really enjoyed it.

6. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a car not fine china and once mine is back up and running i'm fairly certain the wife will be driving it to work more than I get to see it in the driveway. Cars are meant to be driven and not stared at IMO so i'll drive it until I need to rebuild it again or I get tired of it and hand it down to one of the kids.

Although I do enjoy the SPG too ;)

7. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Truck accessories I do not believe will work for a second gen swap. I believe you will want the 4th gen setup. But you can sell the truck setup and recoup some cash.

The late model LS based motors make more power then the gen 1 stuff for a few different reasons

1) Heads - the heads flow better and are at a better angle.
    2) ability to run more aggressive cams - the valve train setup is vastly different and allows for much different cam profiles then generally run in a gen 1

Also when you add fuel injection and the computers ability to eek every last drop of power out of a car and self correct if it picks up knock etc, you make a combination that is more reliable, more tunable, and more consistent.

8. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

Lets not forget about the deep skirt 6 bolt main block

9. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Oh, I agree it's not fine china. I hate trailer queens. My wife has driven my Buick to work. Got caught with three girlfriends/co-workers with her in the park at lunchtime by a fellow Buick club member. And I drive the tires off the car. Nobody runs away from me on a highway on-ramp. My Buick has a total poly suspension, better springs, over-sized sway bars, etc. I drive it as much as possible. But not in the rain. And I don't think many of us use them as true daily drivers where no matter what, we're taking it.

10. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking at the GM performance parts for my carb intake- the LS3 dual plane intake for L92 heads looks really tall. Is there an intake that will allow my stock 79 hood to close without cutting a circle out of the underneath? I guess swaping to an LS motor will take it changes on the car- but I would rather not have to cut on the hood to close. Special motor mounts to sit lower? Suggestions....? I do want to use a carb so EFI is not the route I want for this install.

http://paceperformance.com/i-625554...lane-standard-deck-4-bbl-intake-manifold.html

Thanks everyone. Pics will soon follow and then more questions about milling the heads and swaping cam and if I can keep the VVT yet or too soon.