i'm so rethinking my vega setup...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by LayZ, Oct 17, 2014.

1. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

That 74 vega that is kinda almost done but due to money and time just haven't finished yet. A bud of mine came by in a 99 buick regal GS. Now we've been buds since HS and he's always had those grandma cars. So he pulls up in this thing and I give him a laugh and say LOL it's good to know that some things don't change. He replies back yup like you buying cars that don't start. So after we exchange BS he says so you think my car is a POS and it's for sunday driving huh? get in. I didn't know it was supercharged. It's not crazy fast but I do have to say it's no slouch either. It's a real freak'n sleeper there. So I was thinking man that would be kind of cool to do to the Vega. V6 supercharge it 240HP I could put regular exhaust on it and no one would think it was anything special. That 350 I have in it now i fire that up people are going to know it's going to haul.

So I went looking, seems all the motors that came as a 3.8 in 2004 as a chevy motor are all front wheel drive. There a way I convert that to Rear wheel? I'm strictly out of teh turbo car biz my srt is a huge PIA anymore when it was right it ran like a demon but that crap gets expensive fast.

2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    Buick 3.8 Turbo. Plenty of them around and the stock GN made 245 hp. Easy enough to get 450 out of one of them.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

"like you buying cars that don't start" LOL

4. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Lol like that one? Yea every car I bought in my past years never started. The one 81 camaro I had to start with a screwdriver but jumping the starter. The first few times it's scary as heck, after awhile eh not so much. I found it also works on jeeps.

Me and my 2.00 shoprite screwdriver, we go everywhere together lol

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think any classic car is going to surprise too many people as being a sleeper anymore. No one is street driving a car that old that isn't an enthusiast who is probably tinkering with it. The FWD 3.8 eaton blower I think has problematic routing when you put it on a RWD 3.8. Think about how the engine would be turned - the throttle body from the FWD setup would be aimed at the windshield wouldn't it? Dollar for dollar you'd probably do much better with something like a stock 5.3 w/ quiet mufflers if you want something that idles smooth but still has power.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

^^but he likes cars that don't run

7. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

Ok so I looked into this way back when I had my vega. I thought it would be the poo if I put a turbo 6 in it and painted it black, with all blacked out trim. I even went as far as buying a 3.8 turbo engine. BBBuuuuuttt I'm an idiot and bought an 85 Grand National engine and as everyone but I knew, an 85 is a hot air engine and the turbo is mounted on the intake. Kinda where the distributor is on a small or big block chevy. Anyways what I found out is that squeezing a small bock in is bad enough, a small block chevy is a 60 degree engine. A Buick 3.8 is a 90 degree engine. So its a lot wider than a chevy. Which makes the small amount of room that is there essentially none.

8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

??????? A small block chevy v8 is a 90 degree engine.......

9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Might I suggest a 500 cube Cadillac engine? You'll need a shoehorn to make it fit but it would be fun.

10. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

NO... I believe I said a small block chevy is a 60 degree engine. The buick 3.8 is a 90 degree.