In search of a cheaper car?.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jan 10, 2014.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My mothers car is a pos. anyway, for 2-3k anyone have recommendations for reliable cheap older cars that if break down are cheap?.

Noticed focuses for 2k at 120-160k mileage 2001 years roughly. Bad ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I've had luck in the past with Buick's from that time period (98 - 02) with the 3800 engine. They are cheap as can be to buy and the 3800 is a very solid engine. They are kinda an old peoples car though in the way they ride (floaty/unsporty).

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Early to mid 2000's Honda Accord or Civic. VERY simple to work on, great on gas and very reliable.

4. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Mid to late 90's Toyota Camry or Corolla.

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Duratec powered Taurus, like a 2004-2006. Mine was (is) very reliable (I would not consider the vulcan Taurus just because the 200 hp duratec is slow enough, the 155 hp version is like 1980's slow). I still have mine, I couldn't bear to sell it, even though it's just a back-up car now. It has gone almost 150k miles with no break downs and no repairs, just general DIY maintenance. Still gets the same mpg it always did and looks exc inside and out. 6 quart oil capacity and a timing chain on the duratec.

6. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

But the brake lines and fuel lines are rotted through by now. I just did both on my Dad's 98 Century, all the lines were horribly rotted. He found out when he lost the brakes and had to ride a guardrail to stop the car, lol.

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the only major issue w/ the 3800s is the intake gaskets, even the later ones were not immune to melting the o rings into the valley. If one hasn't been done by now expect it needs it.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Buick I just got rid of had 200k on it. ;) It was wore out but still got me back and forth to work.

9. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

95-2002 Chevy Cavalier.

Best bang for the buck compacts. With a chain driven 2.2, the little things are great. I bought a 2000 Cavi 5-speed, in 2007. It had 100,000 miles on it then. I'm still driving it every day, it's got 230,000 miles on it now. :cool:

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I had a '98 Taurus and it was a great little car but with one caveat. The 3.0 V-6 is bad about the head gaskets leaking. I piled the miles on mine and made sure to keep it topped up with coolant. It was the SE with fold down rear seat. I used it to haul huge items by taking the rear seat cushion out. Basically an enclosed pickup. 30+ mpg on long highway trips with the cruise on. The head gaskets were the only headache it had.