In search of a cheaper car?.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cavaliers and sun fires are great cars. Very reliable. There are some exceptions though. They do have front frame rust issues and rusted fuel lines and brake lines. Commonly repaired reasonably. I would definitely get them inspected to check the condition of them.

2. CogentZ28

CogentZ28 Veteran Member

I agree. Our 2000 Z24 has been the most reliable car we've owned. Currently has close to 286,000 kilometers.

3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Actually the radio didn't put sound out, so I figured was radio bc was aftermarket crappy.

Bought new radio wiring up now, guy said sound use to work. Anyway. Wired up, no sound, no visible blown fuses
    Wtf!. >.> any ideas to why no sound?

Radio is working, no speakers are getting sound. I'm confused. No fuses blown, radio-wires- fuses are good. What else could cause no sound?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Depends on the year but it prob has a small factory amp. Aftermarket players don't like to play well with them. Just changes how they need to be wired in, the color of the wires doesn't just "match up" in them. If wired color to color, will cause the radio to be on, but no sound output from speakers.

5. FreedomPenguin

I used a quick connect harness from best buy never had an issue before with these. I hooked up another speaker outside of car and got it working

So either all speakers are blown or there's an amp. Gonna dig around, annoying

6. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

We had a 2003 Corolla that we bought brand new in Dec 2002. We put 280K miles on it. All I did was regular maintenance...Oil Changes every 7K miles or 6 months, plugs and belts every 70K. That thing still ran great and got 34 mpg the day I traded it in. As I understand it, the 2005's went to a digital throttle body, but ours was still a reliable old wire puller. The 05s have been known to have computer issues, but the 03s, in my experience, are amazing little run forever machines.
    I also agree with old GM sedans with the 3800s in them. My BIL has one that has 260K miles and other than an intake/intake gasket (common problem), hasn't had a single issue with it.

7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Yeah it is annoying. I have never had a problem with the adapter harnesses either, until I attempted to install a player in the wife's alero. Same as you in the car no worky, pulled it out and hooked it to a batt and a speaker and it works fine. Then I discovered the factory amp.

I would call your local dealership with the last 8 digits of the vin numbe and ask them to see if it's got a fact amp. Or pm it to me and I can check.

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had an 01 SL1 auto that got nearly 40 mpg on the highway. Paid $300 for it, drove it for three years and got $2700 for it when some drunk rear ended me. Intake leaked like all SOHC do, never fixed it. Easy job, last I looked book time was 4+ hours to do, I could knock one out in 45 minutes.

I miss that car.

9. mgs1971

mgs1971 Veteran Member

Anything Honda is good. We have 2 Civics. 1 has 250000 the other has 185000. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either of them anywhere.
    Mike

10. FreedomPenguin

2 done of 4. Sounds pretty good, bought some 30-40 buck pioneers and not sounding bad. But the speakers were all blown and the wiring was horrible!! Whoever wired it was definitely a newbie with speakers I cut most of it out it was so messy.