In search of a cheaper car?.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

friends never had luck with tarus or hondas their was somthing they were always replacing on them mainly suspension and timing belts and manifolds stuff like that, for 2-3 grand you can get a decent crown vic, theirs a reason cops drive them, last frame on car made but no longer produced because the new SHO came out, police departments where I live are actually buying crownvics from the public they say the sho is cramped inside and always causes problems, I have a 2000 cv police modle gets 20mpg city and highway but is worth it, coming up on 350,000 all original engine and drivtrain no rebuilds and runs like a champ I plan on putting anouther 350,000 on it, the police modles have 3:27 slip or 3:55 locker which is what mine has is great in the snow, the transmissing 4r70w is the same as some of the older f250's, the car is a brut weighing 4,400 lbs and will run the 1/4 @ 14:60's which is good for it's weight, guy on another forum ported his cv heads and gain just over 90hp on the dyno! the heads and mainfolds are restrictive on these cars and the true duels that are 2" piping with H pipe are just restrictive for it too, I can't tell you how many tires iv gone through and the car never misses a beat I swear by it, get the police model it has a different tune gears and exhaust that still could be improved, my cv is my daily driver and so far besides brake and fluid change I never touched a part on it, I just redid the whole suspension 5,000 miles ago and upgraded the stock police sway bars 29mm to 1 1/4 addcos and it rides better than new, didnt have to do it had the orginal shocks and tierods/balljoints endlinks but hey I think with the millage it has it was time, the think is a tank cheap and reliable and to me this justifys the gas I put in it, lol just looked at its paperwork the other day dad got it for commuting to work and family car eventually to be mine after he bought another one, had 90,000 on it got it for 1,800 it was a dectives car so wasent abused and running all day by police, but thats why they have oil cooler hoses and are built to jump curbs all day, if you want reliable and quick a police interceptor is the way to go, guy at work has the new honda accord says it pumps out 300hp which is respectable but he can't beat dragging my 260hp crown vic with all the miles that to me means somthing had my car up to 138mph the car is heavy and will hold the road, if you want a reliable car, that won't let you down and will hold thwe road this is the way to go, the locker is awsome in the snow, helped this pretty girl get out of a corn field this winter, she was laughing when I tied her car to the trailer hitch but was thankfull in the end, alot of people doubt these cars and will bash them, they wont know till they been in one, If you do get one like I said get the police interceptor not civillian, the police cars are cheaper but built with upgraded parts. as for focuses imo they last some but tend to die after 200,000

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As far as those saturns go, how are the stock auto transmissions as far as reliability? I'm considering looking at a couple. Its just hard to find one with a 5spd like I prefer.

3. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  4. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

I'm really bad with things like this. I know when I was looking at station wagons used I had an idea that I could find a 04-08 magnum cheap. I didn't even need the srt model but it would have been nice. Couldn't find one for 5-7k like I would have spent. Everything was $17k or better in my area at the time. Talking just about a 10yr old car too. That's when I found the vega for $700 and I've dumped $2k in it already.The headers where the biggest expense, Evidently only one person makes them anymore.