Incorrect Idler Arm

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by thumbdoctor, Aug 27, 2020.

1. thumbdoctor

thumbdoctor Member

Quite common on base Camaros (6 Cylinder) 70-71 Z28s had them, no tilt column available with this box thought. too hard on the steering shaft. A real workout with wide sticky tires.

2. thumbdoctor

thumbdoctor Member

After exhaustive research, I now realize that I have the incorrect pitman arm. The manual "Quick Ratio" utilizes a longer pitman arm with "M" stamped into it at the splined end. Most share the same casting number but the power steering model has a larger diameter pitman shaft and a "P" stamp. Somehow I have a 6 cylinder manual steering pitman arm. the steering box is the correct 54679142 Quick ratio unit. Now the search for the correct arm commences.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yes, correct. See post 5. Not sure if anyone is repoping the manual pitman arm. Doubt it. One problem with the pitman arm search is it has the same casting number as the far more common power steering arm so you see many of those on eBay etc. Lots of dead ends. The M is not always stamped very well. Might want to reach out to Rick Griffin ricks72z28 or tommyrsz28. I think Rick may have sold his last one to Mulsanne Blue.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

No, on a 2nd gen a ptman arm isn't a wear item, unless maybe it gets damaged buy the box nut or center link nut coming loose. I don't consider that wear, it's damage. not sure I ever saw that in my years in the shop. I've certainly never seen a bad one on a 2nd gen. The center link, tie rods and idler sure, they have joints.

1st gens have pitmans that wear because the joint is in the pitman arm. My k1500 is the same way.

5. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Both my 70 z-28s had manual steering

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

First I've heard that a Z28 with manual steering couldn't have a tilt wheel. Do you have a GM source document for this?

7. Zclassic

Zclassic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thumbdoctor- I have a few NOS manual steering centerlinks if you want to get your steering geometry correct while your searching for the correct pitman arm. Send me a PM if you or anyone else reading this needs one. Thanks

8. Get' er Done

Get' er Done New Member

Not sure if this is the one your looking for. https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1981_Pitman_Arm_Manual_Steering_p/sus-283.htm

9. thumbdoctor

thumbdoctor Member

10. thumbdoctor

thumbdoctor Member

When I ordered my 1970 Z28 from our dealership, the guide stated that option N33 was not available with manual steering and M22 due to the reverse gear lock out. I have since seen a few Z's with P/S with M22 but cannot be sure if they're original equipment.