Indexing the steering shaft as it relates to turn signal return

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Lynd McCormick, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

So I've had my steering wheel off a few times because the turn signal won't return most times. The mechanism and the springs are all good. Today I think that I found the issue..... I think that the steering column is indexed wrong.

When I remove the steering wheel, my horn contact is at 4 o'clock, based on a YouTube video that I saw, I think that it should be at 10 o'clock which makes my steering shaft 180 degrees out. Because if that, the tits on the return cone are outside of the return springs instead of between them. I think that if I make a 360 rotation of the steering wheel, they will reset, but a gentle turn they won't.

So al of that being said, what's the best way to resolve this? What if remove the shaft at the steering box and try and rotate it 180 degrees? I think that would put the reset tits back where they go. Because the shaft is keyed by a flat spot, I can't rotate the assembly to make it work otherwise.

Any Suggestions?

2. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

I guess my next question is can I rotate the connection at the rag joint 180 degrees?