Infamous back yard wiring repair

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by shua57, Nov 4, 2013.

1. shua57

shua57 Member

Thats right....that "lets rewire the car because the cig. liter isn't working" bs. Here is what it is....1979 camaro with AC, not a Z28, with a non stock 350. I haven't even pulled the numbers but know it isn't stock or I would have temp sensor and oil pressure sensors for my wires to go to...another story for another time.
    I picked this car up about 3 weeks ago...not too bad of shape. Started trying to get this "for sale: running camaro" ..aahh....running only to find out after 3 hours of no-start that someone forgot to put the button in the distributor cap...I'm guessing whoever tried to start it last. So I replaced it and still no start....no power to distributor, traced wires back and found a toggle that powers the distributor:eek: . As much as I am a diehard fan of "I can make it work" theology, I am not a fan of toggle switch fixes.
    First thing to do was at least start the car, second was to order a nice pretty color coded wiring diagram, third thing was to replace the screws in the glass fuse slots with actual glass fuses;) ;) and now I am on my fourth thing to do.....figure out how to fix the wiring mess.
    My wiring diagram looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    ...except bigger:crazy: , the problem is that the pinned bulkhead connector wiring is not the same as the diagram. From what I can tell I am suppose to have a pink wire powering the distributor and a red wire runs in the same loom that splits of to the alternator, starter and another place. What I do have is a pink wire running out to a junction point that branches of to the alternator, starter and the other place. I also do not have a red wire coming from the bulkhead but I do have a black/white stripped wire coming out that is as heavy gauge as the pink is. I also have a orange/black wire running from the fuse box to the toggle switch then to the distributor. I also am not getting power on the DIR SIG fuse which is the fuse that the power to the distributor?? and also powers the pink/black connector plugged in right beside the DIR SIG fuse.
    So the questions......
    Is it possible the wiring diagram is incorrect?
    Also is it possible the factory changed the harness per accessories?
    Next, how the hell do I fix this?
    Where can I steal power from to power the distributor?
    Where does the black/white strip wire go?

I'm almost at the point that I do not want to fix another damn wiring mess and just replace the entire engine bay wiring. "They" didn't even bother to crimp new terminals on at the starter. They just twisted the wires together and black taped them.....seriously.
    Anyway, any help is much appreciated.
    Josh

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I doubt the wiring diagram is wrong...here is the one on this site:

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-eng.jpg

The pink wire gets its feed from the ignition switch (no fuse in this circuit, red wire from under hood{the one you see that is connected to starter/alternator and "goes somewhere else"} feeds the ignition switch, this wire does have a fusible link in it {a piece of thinner gauge wire that acts like a fuse except not so easily replaceable, is located by starter}. If you want to just get it running a wire straight from the battery to the HEI connector will get you started. Once someone starts butchering these harness' it is hardly worth trying to fix it, (to me that is) it is worth piece of mind to spend a little money and get something that you know will be rght and work correctly. You can fix that harness , the male and female terminals you need at the firewall connector and other spots(Packard 56) are available at NAPA (you do need some good crimpers to properly roll the crimps around the insulation and around the bare wire).

Here is a new harness at Classic industries just to give you an idea of price

http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/ca58442.html

M & H who supplies harness' for Classic (I believe) can be contacted directly and you can order straight from them along with telling them any modifications you would like (like power for the choke on a Holley, or a relocated water temp sender-both mods I did to my classic harness before I knew about M & H). Lots of guys use AMerican Autowire to rewire there cars. Hope this helps you out.

Oh and the no crimping of terminal, yea my whole wiring for the headlight switch was just twisted together, it seems most people don't have time, patience or the knowledge to work on wiring.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. shua57

shua57 Member

Thanks for the info, yeah, I can start the car since BAT power was supplied to a toggle switch under the dash. Thats not really the problem. The problem is that I can't stand half-assing wiring. I did a full brand new harness in my 57 chevy with a FI motor install (which is harder than it sounds for several reasons) and made sure the wiring was done right. This Camaro was just butchered.
    My other problem is there is no red wire coming out of the bulkhead connector. I have all the other wires shown on the wiring diagram except the red wire and i have an additional black/white strip wire. I'm probably going to just replace the whole harness. It's a fire hazard and I'm not interested in burning the car to the ground.
    Thanks again
    Josh

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, I feel the same way, I bought all new harness for my 72, nice piece of mind having everything new.

5. shua57

shua57 Member

I was out welding in some sheet metal in my 68 GMC pickup when I hit a snag and decided to switch over to the camaro wiring issue. As mentioned before I have a black/white strip wire in the engine bay wiring harness that shouldn't be there but I though maybe someone just repinned it. So I unfolded the metal band that held the pink wire and the 4 red wires and hooked the black/white wire up to the junction. I hooked the battery back up and the GEN light and the brake light came on on the dash with no key on. Which means the black/white wire powers up the key on side of the fuse panel. The black/white wire is not in the correct pin location to be the missing red wire and neither is the pink wire so I am guessing this harness was not meant for this car. Glad the repop the wiring harness because this one is being yanked.
    Josh