Input on generators

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by acmanted, Oct 6, 2020.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

less expensive generators typically produce less desirable (dirty) electric. they would be fine for the fridge, power tools, lights, etc....but anything with a circuit board would really like some really clean electric, and lets face it, most things these days have a circuit board. Anything in the whole house non-portable generator would most likely be putting out clean electric. Inverter generators will normally be the cleanest electric, but that will reflect in the price.
    Figure out what you want to run, and size it accordingly, there are lots of calculators on the web you can use, and get an education on "start up" current. IMO its wasteful to over size a generator, since most will burn close to the same amount of fuel running loaded or unloaded.

acmanted likes this.
  2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mines only 9 or 11kw I think and it runs all the primary stuff, bedrooms, fridge, water pump, kitchen area.
    Don’t really notice anything that doesn’t work actually. I’m sure it doesn’t run power to allll the circuits but I haven’t ran into any dead outlets while on generator power.

That said, if gens running I’m not going to go run all my 1800 watt appliances microwave oven etc

3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought a Honda generator 13 years ago. The dealer is defunct , but the Honda lives on. But no matter , Im on at least my 7 th hurricane, never let me down. It has started first pull every year up till this spring . Took four pulls. Removed the original plug and it was worn pretty well plus tan , but not oily . Put a new one in . Back to one pull. Plug is a little tuff to remove is my only complaint. It took a combination of various tools ..tools LOL. I have changed the oil a few times , it has a easy drain and fill like my dirt bikes. I run 93 oct non ethanol in it . My 74 corvette tank hold s enough reserve to alst me 3 days used frugally . No home AC , but pretty much everything else . Gas grill and microwave is fine for a 2-3 day camping. It keeps my freezer and refrigerator going . Fans , TV , radio lights ....but NO AC or Water heater. Its economical to operate , no maintenance to speak of . Never seen oil dirty or oil low. I think it would sell new today for 2X3 times what i paid. I never bought any part for it , everything is well made and quality is high. It might last me a lifetime and the next guy too. Its common sense built , not heavy to lift , no batteries easy pull . Runs like a sewing machine , sweet music .

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    acmanted likes this.
  4. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

My house already had a whole home Generac natural gas generator installed when I purchased it. There is a main electric panel and then there is a smaller panel with all of the circuits powered by the generator.

5. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here that’s how mine is also.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

It really is crazy how good the Honda generators are. I have a 3000w invertor Honda at the cottage. I found it upside down in a puddle on a farm, the owner gave it to me. Put a 75 dollar throttle motor in it, cleaned it up and it has been going for 5 years, quiet as a mouse. Original battery too! Hard to believe. It looks like it was dragged behind a truck (probably was), but never lets me down.

7. acmanted

acmanted Veteran Member

I agree Honda generators are good. Just trying to sort through all options.looks like the harmonic distortion is very important, haven’t considered that before. Appreciate the help!

8. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Honda is the best . I have 3000 watt inverter and a 2200 inverter the best their is . Run forever Also Yamaha generators and Kohler are very good

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have had several. NOTHING beats a HONDA for reliability, low noise and low fuel consumption. They cost more, but you get more. The best 'deal' on the planet isn't worth crap if it won't start or can't tolerate older gas. Inverter types are electrically cleaner, but at a cost. You can use a non-inverter and run the output through a power conditioner. I strongly suggest wiring in a transfer switch to your circuit box. Took me about 90 mins to do. You can run a smaller gennie because you can pick and choose what circuits to power up. My 5000 watt ran my house and I let the neighbors plug in to one outlet to run their sump pump and fridge. We did that for 5 days straight.

acmanted likes this.
  10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Most electronics these days run on lower voltage DC. The AC input is run to a transformer to reduce the voltage then direct to the rectifier. Old TVs used to have trouble with dirty current but I haven't seen any problems with the generator or an inverter powered by a battery these days.

acmanted likes this.