Installation help with suspension products.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Power, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Power

Power Veteran Member

Hello and happy fathers day to you.

I've noticed u have done extensive susp work to ur camaro and I just completed mine but have some questions u might be able to answer.

Recently I purchased the GT2 kit from Keith with the Upgraded shocks, sbc springs, spc UCA, speed tech LCA, new outer tie rods, 600 steering box, solid body mounts, tall upper ball joint for UCA, Etc...

My car seems like its the same height as before. I installed all this stuff on a lift with no weight on suspension and I'm reading this might be an issues but confused how you can even accomplish this with weight on the car? What nuts and bolts can I loosen and tighten to get this right? I even loosened the uca bolts that bolt to car today and bounced car quite and bit them retighened. No change in ride height. I've drive the car hard yesterday and today around some bumpy roads and tight turns but still no change in height. I'm measuring 14.25" in from from center hub to bottom of fender well. Both springs are in the upper pockets too. The lower pockets have rubber cups so that might be something that's causing the height no to go down.

Or it might be that I have bbc springs? This springs were physically shorter than the ones I removed but they were super thick and a major pita to instal.
    Jason

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know how thick the rubber cups are or why they are there. But if they are 1/2" thick they will raise the car about 1". 2:1 ratio give or take.

I haven't gotten the wheels on yet and there is no engine in it so I can't give you measurements.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

+1

If you haven't already done so, contact Keith and ask him about getting the nose lower. He would know the best thing to try first on his suspensions. In the meantime, see if you can get some pics of those rubber cups you mentioned.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe your car was already lowered a little.

5. Power

Power Veteran Member

What's a good measurement for lowered cars? I'm not taking cups out until i have to bc it's a pita to deal with those springs!

6. 8pack

It is a pain, but a good spring compressor and a second set of hands to hold a 2 x4 while you hit it with a BFH was the solution for me. Went pretty quickly the second time. First time I did not get them seated in the upper perch properly.

7. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

8. Power

Power Veteran Member

Hmmm 13.5" I'm at 14.25" good chance it might settle out... I just figured it would be lower... Right now I have 215/65/15 fronts and I'm about to get 245/35/18 meaning they are shorter and if my thinking is correct they won't fill the wheel well as much as I'd like??? I'm wanting the top of the fender to be right in the center of the tire side wall.

9. 8pack

If that rubber cushion is 3/8 thick that would give you 14.25 height. 3/4 more.....

10. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I would guess there are sevral things contributing to the highr ride height. First, the pad under the front springs would be a good place to start. Genrally, if you want a spring isolator, they are installed on top, if you put them under the spring it is easier for the spring to come out of the lower spring pocket.

If the springs in your car were the OE components, 30+ years will cause them to droop and sag, perhaps unintentionally, the car was already lowered and the new Custom Wirks suspension didn't drop the ride height any further. Good luck.