Installed a A/C condenser pusher fan..

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Just installed a 12 inch Spal pusher fan on front of my condenser just to the LEFT side of the hood latch. 1100 cfm 9 amps. Like $150. on Amazon.
Have it wired to a relay to come on with my compressor.
Engine Temps are the same about 190-200 in traffic. But the AC supply air temp went down to a steady 43 degrees at idle. It would gradually heat up to like 65 degrees before.
This is only going to mean something to someone who's car creeps up in temperature at idle with the air on.
Only guys in the hottest states can relate.
Vintage Air 134a , 26" ECP 2 row aluminum radiator, shroud, 772 7 blade clutch fan , 24x14 condenser with Spal 12 inch pusher fan, 100 amp alternator

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Good info!

My temp gauge creeps up at idle (with the A/C on) in over 90* temps.
The A/C air isn't as cool either.

I've considered a different fan clutch and I've also considered going to an electric fan setup.

I would need to upgrade the alternator if I use an electric solution.

This gives me yet another option.
I already have an auxiliary transmission cooler in front of the condenser on the passenger side.

Decisions decisions....

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
I installed a small pusher on my condenser as well a while ago. I forget the brand and specs.

But I also noticed an improvement in vent temps at idle or just-off-idle low vehicle speed operation... and yes, mainly during hot weather conditions.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Which fan do you choose?
I just did a quick google search and found there are several SPAL pusher fans in a 12" size.

How did you mount it?
Got any pics of the install?

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
This is the fan . Like I said, just to the left of the center hood latch support thing brace. In fact. it kinda slides in back of that it's thin. Moves a LOT of air. Do not buy a cheap fan. It's a Spal because thats the most CFM for the size you will find. The fan is made to be a pusher. Spal fans do not do the reversible blade/flow thing. Amp draw is 8-9 amps . You don't notice the amp draw at all. It sounds cool too. No really. it does.
full

full

Last edited:

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
So I changed my fan clutch and that really helped bring the idle in traffic engine temp down. But with the AC on the added heat from the condenser still made my temp creep up. >>>>>>>> Not enough airflow at idle>>>> as seen by my raising ac vent temps too. It looks like the pusher fan may give me that needed flow of air.

To drive this car in the brutal South Florida summer heat, I've needed to address this for a while now.

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Couple more questions...

Do you see a model number on it, or the box?
I see two SPAL fans which look the same but one is 1200 CFM and the other is 861 CFM. ($30 difference.)

Mounting straps sold separately... Correct?

How many mounting points did you use?

Mounted to the radiator support? (I can't see where the mounting straps are attached to the car.)

Did you remove the hood latch support to get it in place.

I think I would need to mount it on the driver’s side due to a transmission cooler mounted on the passenger side.

Same amount of space on that side so it should fit there just fine.

Thanks for the info!

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
My mistake...It's an 11 inch. All on Amazon. To mount it on the left or right side?....I see as long as you're pushing air through the core of the condenser/radiator it's not going to matter. The mounting kit is the best. I attached it to 3 points on the radiator support. Only thing I did to the car is remove the upper front grill to install really everything. The relay kit is for 40 amp and below.

Spal 30101502 Pusher Fan (11In Medium Profile​

Spal 30130011 Fan Mounting Bracket Kit I bought {4} strap brackets​

Spal Fan Harness With Relay (40 Amp)​

Last edited:

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
I installed a small pusher on my condenser as well a while ago. I forget the brand and specs.

But I also noticed an improvement in vent temps at idle or just-off-idle low vehicle speed operation... and yes, mainly during hot weather conditions.
Ditto here. About 20 years ago. It comes on either by temp switch (in the head) or A/C compressor on. It did help.