Installed wilwoods have a couple of Q's

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Turbo70Camaro, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

It's an older kit # 140-3445-B and the spindle is a 70 model

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Wilwood uses the A34 outer bearing for the late hubs and A2 for the early hubs, those two bearings are very close to each other in outer diameter so check the hub part number first and see what you have.

5. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

The outer washer for the Wilwood kit I got did not go far enough on to get the rotor tight enough, it and the spindle on one side were not quite compatible I think the washer was too small. I think I ended using a factory or Dorman washer.

6. Turbo70Camaro

Thanks just checked it out, regardless of hub all the bearings and races seem to be the same for the 3 different hubs so its not a hub issue I think. Maybe my castle nuts are short ? I dont think I am over tightening it the rotor spins freely but the engagement of the cotter pin does not seem right.

I will take pictures and report back to you guys and tell me what you think, maybe even a quick video.

7. Turbo70Camaro

Got the spindle nut to rotor figured out, I ordered the Wilwood spindle washers which are way thicker then the factory ones and it worked great. I will still post a video of how the rotor spins cause I am still unsure how loose/tight the rotor should be and your knowledge is much appreciated.

Now to figure out the centering of the rotor to caliper :rolleyes:

8. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use this procedure for adjusting wheel bearings that have just been packed with grease.
    Tighten the nut while turning the hub until the nut is tight and drag is felt on the bearings. back off, re-tighten until snug, back off just enough to insert cotter pin.
    The initial tightening will squeeze out the excess grease in the bearing and it is necessary to get the proper adjustment.