Installing 1970 camaro doors, help

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 70gsimp, Oct 10, 2014.

1. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Two observations:

Fbody doors are a failure of engineering. The design, which was to allow better access to the back seat for rear passengers made them long, huge and hella heavy. No mortal hinge should be asked to support that weight!

Secondly, they are a bitch to line up. I think I spent more time messing with Camaro doors than any other panel on any other car. The first time I did my resto, it was never right and always bugged me, never shut right, in fact the driver's door never really shut the whole way. I had exceptional doors as my drivers door was hit in a wreck and I had to pull the bottom of the A pillar out 1/2 and inch! I did the car a second time and they are better.

In the case of these doors, I have come to accept the fact that good is factory perfect! I just cannot imagine that they were ever totally German or Japanese spec, ball bearing test perfect! If you doubt my assertion, look at the stock photos of these cars fresh off the assembly line. Cars which GM put in the public eye for promotional purposes, photo shoots and expos have some panel fitment which would make any modern car look like perfection.

I'm glad you got it. it is a total pain in the rear as many have discovered. . . .ad the complications of replacing old sheet metal with "new" sheet metal like an aftermarket quarter, door skin or fender and the game becomes far more complex.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Found this post on a google search. So funny…..do you think these cars were meant to last 50 years? Thought of being restored one day? Hell no! The engineering was right where they wanted it….to complain that (45 years at the time) a 50+ year old cars hinges are worn out is comical.

3. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think the point earlysecond (RIP Brent) was trying to make is that the hinges were not heavy duty enough to support the heavy a$$ doors when the cars were new. I remember seeing sagging driver side doors on them in the 70's and 80's on daily driver Camaros with well under 100k miles, one being my wife's '81 Berlinetta.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

ehhh, I don’t think so…maybe a little. On all my Camaros the passenger door has always been great, compared to the driver door that has been opened and closed millions of times. Miles doesn’t really indicate use, Not to say the hinges weren’t up to the decades of use, but worked for their purpose for the 12 years of production.