Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. jvarchila

jvarchila Member

verry nice thread. im going to follow up on this. just out of curiosity, how much did you get the ls1 for. keep up the good work.

2. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I paid $2100 for the motor with 32K miles. That included the harness, computer and all the accessories except the AC compressor. I sold the alternator and the PS pump for $400 so I actually have $1700 invested so far.

I got the Billet Specialties front runner installed this week. I used some of the Kent-Moore tools from their LS tool kit to remove the harmonic balancer. Sure makes it easier when you have the correct tools. The bolt for the harmonic balancer must be torqued to 240 ft lb. I was concerned about tipping over the engine stand so I raised my lift, slid the engine stand under two of the arms and then lowered the arms over the engine stand legs. It worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be getting the car back from the body shop Monday or Tuesday. Stopped in there today and the engine bay is looking great. I'll post some pics of it next week.

I am waiting for some parts to install the LS6 manifold on the motor. The coolant lines must change and the correct ones are on the way. I also found at Speedway Motors the adapters I need for my oil pressure and water temp senders. These adapters will screw into the block in the factory locations and convert to 1/8NPT so my senders from my old motor will work.

I also replaced the rear main seal and am getting ready to install the rear cover and the oil pan. I found a thread showing how to use one of the tools in the Kent-Moore LS tool kit for aligning the covers with the oil pan.

I also bought a 11' piece of 2" x 6" box steel section and a chain hoist. I am going to place it in my attic across five joists and then drop a chain through the ceiling so I can use a chain hoist to lift the engine among other things. The cherry picker I have was too short to reach the engine and we had to lift the engine out from the side. By having the chain hoist, I can lift the engine up, move the car under the engine and then lower it into place directly from above. My buddy seems to think this will work great. We will see.

3. gothrod87

gothrod87 Veteran Member

what is the coating on the intake and anyone know where and how much?

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

5. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Got the 3 ton hoist installed in the ceiling of my garage on Saturday. Works like a charm. Here is a pic of it lifting my engine and the stand. This should make it easier to drop the motor into the engine bay.

[​IMG]

Should get the car back from the body shop tomorrow.

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Got the car back today from the body shop. He smoothed out my firewall with four separate, removable panels. There are two main panels on the firewall, a large one that goes to the wiper motor area and a smaller one behind the brake booster. There is also a cover for the wiper motor and a cover for the heater and AC hookups at the firewall. He also cleaned up the crossmember and the frame rails. The trick is going to be getting the motor installed without scratching anything!!! I have a number of moving blankets and am going to cut one of them up to make covers for the firewall and inner fender liners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is cleaning up the bottom of the car from the firewall back. I lined my walls and floor with plastic and plan on using engine degreaser and my pressure washer to clean it up. A dirty job!!!

[​IMG]

7. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I am glad this job is done!! Very messy cleaning up the bottom of the car. I spent Friday using engine degreaser and my pressure washer to get the bottom of the car at least respectable. As most of you know, when you do this type of cleaning, you are really only transferring the dirt. Part of it went onto the plastic and the rest went on me!! I don't have a mirror in my garage. If I had, I would not have gone out to get the mail as my face was pretty black. It took me nearly as long to clean up the mess as it did to clean the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I masked everything off and used three rattle cans to at least make it all the same color. While it won't pass a white glove inspection, it sure looks better than when I began this project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can concentrate on getting the motor ready for installation. Should happen this week.

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I got a lot done on the motor today. First I installed the rear coolant line plugs and the front LS6 coolant line so I could mount the intake. Got the intake mounted and then decided I did not like the army green color of the fuel rails. Painted them satin black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I mounted the Dirty Dingo slider motor mounts. First a plate is attached to the motor, then the factory elephant ear collar is attached to the other plate. The second plate is then loosely attached to the plate on the motor. There are slots and you can slide the motor back and forth 2 1/2".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am getting close to putting the motor in. I need to align the bellhousing and can't decide whether it would be best to do it out of the car or in the car. Not sure how I can stabilize the engine and turn the crank outside the car.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Had to mow the lawn today but still had some time to work on the motor. I removed the plate above the oil filter, drilled the hole through, tapped it for 1/8 NPT 27, and mounted my oil pressure sender for my gauges there.

After doing a search for places to put the water temp sender for my gauges, some people recommended removing the drain plug above the starter and mounting it there. After removing the plug, I found an adapter to go to 1/8 NPT 27 thread. I talked to Autometer and they have a 1/8NPT sender that will work with my gauges. It is on the way from Summit and appears to be compact enough to clear the starter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Thinking of starting an LS swap soon myself. Good thread to read!