Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. weircc

weircc New Member

can you tell me which oil pan you used and how tall is it? the one i bought ended up being 7 1/2 tall and the guys at ls1tech said thats way to tall also lowered about 1 inch in front also

2. RICARDO1969

RICARDO1969 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

looks like he is using the F-body oil pan.

I am using the F-body pan in my build works out nice.

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Yes, it is the F-Body oil pan. My motor was out of a 1999 Trans-Am.

4. weircc

weircc New Member

Wow I can't believe its fits looks like it will hit subframe

5. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats on the sale!! I can't wait for your next build.

6. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ME TOOOO

7. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Thanks. The buyer is picking it up tomorrow. He will have lots of fun with it and is getting it at just the right time as cruise season is upon us in the south. It is going near Augusta, Ga.

I looked at a '69 Mustang Mach 1 today with thoughts of putting in a Coyote 5.0 motor w/6 speed tranny, similar to what I did with the Camaro. The description promised it to be a very nice car, but is wasn't. Have to keep looking.

Next Sunday I am flying to Memphis to pick up a 1995 Porsche 968 with a '94 Vette LT1! Looking for it to be a daily driver as I am paying $8,000 for it. After looking at the Mustang today, my son, my neighbor Reese and I visited a Wendy's for lunch to discuss the Mustang. A couple guys in line behind us were Porsche guys and said that NASA was racing at nearby Carolina Motorsports Park. After eating, we drove down there to see what was going on. I had been there one other time to spectate. They have a nearly two mile road course and a very long, spectacular go-kart track.

As we walked from the cars to the much needed restroom, guys were running racing carts on the cart track. There were a couple guys with a cart on a stand so I asked them if they were racing this weekend. The one guy wearing a hoodie, who looked vaguely familar, said it was an open practice day. My son was trailing behind me and says to the hoodie guy, "What are you doing here?" Matt oviously knew him and they talked for a bit. As we walked away, I asked who he was talking to. It was AJ Allmendinger!! Matt had worked with him during their Red Bull days. This was obviously his way of relaxing.

Later we bumped into the guys we met a Wendy's. Turns out one of them runs a 944 with a LT1 motor. He also had a LT1 in his Porsche 928!!! His fiercest competitor was the service manager at the Hendrick Porsche who runs a 944 with a 400 plus hp LS motor. Through servicing my 996 at Hendrick, I knew Quentin. It is a fabulous car that he built himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result of all this is that I now have the bug to do some track events again. My wife and I used to be heavily involved in both autocrossing and track events but we gave that up in 1998 when we moved to Missouri for my then new job. There wasn't a lot of Porsche activity in that area and my new job required lots of time, so track events ended. The 968 I am getting already has upgraded brakes from a Boxster S and a Tilton master cylinder with a balance bar to set the brake bias. It would not take much to make it track ready.

We also talked with a guy who had just completed building one of the Factory Five Cobra Daytona coupes. It was a beautiful red with white stripes and white wheels. He had built the car from scratch and did an outstanding job. We had watched him earlier on the track. He was running a Ford 351 with eight Weber carburetors. My son has bugged me for years about buiding some type of kit car and this sure would be something if you did it right.

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You will enjoy the LT1, they have wrongly shoved to the side with the LSx guys
    ringing the 'touched by God' bells repeatedly. Its quite a powerful engine. It also
    has the old school sound, which gives it the best of both worlds.

Tom

9. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

The buyer picked up the car today. Didn't even drive it so he must have felt pretty confident about the car. Besides the quality of the car, the one thing that attracted him to the car was the LS1. Pretty hard for me to turn down $29K for a big bumper Camaro when I had the opportunity. On the other hand, he got a really great car. I am sure he will enjoy it.

Still on the prowl for another car. I am sure something will turn up.

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

but of course ....

[​IMG]

;)

Tom