Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

The Edelbrock polished coil covers arrived late yesterday. The coil packs install directly to the rear of the covers which allows them to sit lower. I am not wild about the Edelbrock script, but, overall, it was the look I was going for. I had to cut the support for the fuel line so I can bend it up to clear the coil covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My water temp sender with 1/8 NPT threads arrived today and if fit perfectly with plenty of clearance with the starter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also installed the correct pilot bearing for my transmission. I also mounted the flywheel and the bellhousing and used my son's gauge to begin the alignment procedure. I did not finish this as time ran out but will sort this out tomorrow. Once I have the bellhousing aligned, I am ready to put the motor in the car.

2. ProStreet78z28

ProStreet78z28 Banned

Youre doing a great job! I like the valve covers. Neat how you gave it a GEN I look!

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

I agree those covers are sweet!

They keep the coils easily accessable and in the (more or less) stock location but hide them wonderfully with an old school kind of look.

Sold. I'll have to get a set when the time comes

Good job, keep the updates coming.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you checked out the Holley covers? Make the engine look like a BBC. I had to do a double take when I saw them in the Holley truck at SEMA last year. I need to get that picture up for people to see, nice and clean with no logo or anything on them....

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Hadn't before, but just did. Pretty nice, though I think I like the Eddy's better. The black version would go with my planned scheme real nice and unlike the OP I really like the script.

6. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I looked at the Holley. Since my engine bay is all black, I wanted some shiny stuff to contrast. That's why I have the Edelbrock's. I may have a set from Taylor Industries to try as well but they will have to go a ways to beat the Edelbrocks.

7. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Very nice looking. I love the Billet pulley setup. I have to agree with the earlier comment "Best looking Big Bumper ever".

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Thanks.

Had to satisfy motorcycle withdrawal with a ride today with my best friend. Because of the heat, we left early this morning and were back home by noon. One of our neighbors is a partner in a high end dealership in Denver, NC so we checked out his business today.

After lunch, I finished up the alignment of the bellhousing. Based on the readings, I had to use a "14 adjustable dowel. I set it in place with my best guess of where it should be to get the bellhousing within spec and it worked. I was within 4 thousandths vertically and less than 2 thousandths horizontally.

[​IMG]

After removing the bellhousing, I installed the clutch. The LS1 flywheels have two dowel pins that must be lined up on the pressure plate for balance purposes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed the clutch pivot ball in the bellhousing and have to adjust the height. Based on my late in the day measurements, I think I need a taller ball.

I also turned the car around in the garage to get the nose facing my ceiling hoist. My driveway is uphill outside the garage so turning it around there is not an option. I bought these dollies from Northern Tool some years ago and they have come in handy. I was able to easily turn the car around by myself. Once I get the pivot ball adjusted correctly, I am ready to put the motor in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting close.

9. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

nice work and one sweet ride!

10. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome car man! Will be watchin this install! Thanks for the pictures an details. CC