Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jerhofer, May 14, 2011.

1. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I second that being an issue

2. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I had not had a chance to look into that but I have the same reservations. I may have to look into some other type of induction.

3. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Had a thought. I wonder if I would get enough air from one of the intakes to feed the engine? If so, I could hook up the other intake for looks but block off that side. I could even really confuse people if I bought a defective MAF and installed it on that side for symmetrical reasons.

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Just found this. May have to make a call tomorrow.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/p...mber=7153/2231.0.1.1.66739.66810.0.0.0?pp=35&

[​IMG]

PRI 2010 – Spectre ProFab MAFS Conversion Kits

LS engines are finding their way into all sorts of different places – street rods, sand rails, even Fieros and Porsche 996′s. Though the creativity of swappers is endless, the less fabrication required, the better. Spectre has just introduced a couple new part numbers that will be real problem-solvers for LS swaps where space in front of the engine for intake plumbing is at a premium.

Their new ProFab MAF sensor kits replace the boot-style MAF common to the LS series with a blade-type sensor, saving 2-3 inches of room ahead of the throttle body. But the space-saving factor isn’t the only benefit; Spectre says that when placed in a 4-inch diameter tube, these kits will flow up to 25% more air than stock boot-style MAFS. Spectre also claims that the blade style design is more robust and less prone to flow sensitivities than the boot type. The kits are available in 3- and 5-wire flavors, and include a rectangular bung that can be welded in just about anywhere on the intake tube ahead of the throttle body.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  5. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Here's another thing Spectre is working on. Not sure I like this.

[​IMG]

6. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    ^^Thats hideous! you dont want to cover up that intake manifold, especially with something ugly as that.
    I would do the dummy MAF with it blocked off unless you could use two MAF sensors and work it into the program to totalize the two to meter the fuel.

7. Marks71BB

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I did a search on using two MAF sensors and it appears you would have to be an engineering genius to make it work. Plus you would have to reprogram the computer. It appears using the Spectre sensor also require reprogramming the computer.

Anyone have a defective MAF sitting on a shelf?

9. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

Of course if I put in a good extra MAF, I would always have the spare handy!!!

10. Marks71BB

Just snorkel it to one side and call it good, extend the filter to forward of the core support on the drivers side. Form follow function.