Installing hood pins for a 72

VSTOL

VSTOL
Sep 21, 2019
Stafford VA
Has anyone installed hood pins on the 70-73? I was looking at the support and it is canted slightly fwd. Yes the latch is a bitch to use. Thanks

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
My question is why? In my opinion hood pins are ugly on most cars, they are a pain in the ass, how many time have you seen hood pins without the pins? Unless you are using a lift off hood or a sanctioning body mandates them I wouldn't put them on. I don't find the latch on my 70 is hard to use. You want a tough hood try opening the hood on a 70 Monte Carlo not only is the latch down by the license plate but the hood is big enough to land a piper cub on. If operating the latch is a big problem look into installing a cable operated latch.

rotin

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Here's the hood pin set up on my Camaro ...

Front ...

20220512_081213.jpg

Rear ...

20220512_081139.jpg

VSTOL

VSTOL
Sep 21, 2019
Stafford VA
My question is why? In my opinion hood pins are ugly on most cars, they are a pain in the ass, how many time have you seen hood pins without the pins? Unless you are using a lift off hood or a sanctioning body mandates them I wouldn't put them on. I don't find the latch on my 70 is hard to use. You want a tough hood try opening the hood on a 70 Monte Carlo not only is the latch down by the license plate but the hood is big enough to land a piper cub on. If operating the latch is a big problem look into installing a cable operated latch.

rotin
BLUF my hood latch sucks to open, looking for options to include fixing my current latch. Not my first rodeo just asked question.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
In ‘75 I purchased a 71 Z28 which came with hood pins and people would steal the pins. So I used suitcase mini locks. I would not butcher a hood today.

Latest posts