Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jerhofer, Nov 21, 2011.
that looks really good. i really like the car
First up today was fitting the tub in our newly cut hole. I did not count the holes, but I drilled many of them into the tub. Once that was done, Matt fabricated the filler panels for the frame rail and the area above it.
Before we welded in the tub, it was time to install the panhard bar bracket to the frame rail and to the shock tower brace. Since the tub would hide the welding areas for the bracket, Matt welded it in and also welded those areas of the shock tower brace that would have been difficult once the tub was in.
Tomorrow the tub will be welded in. This will complete the major fabbing. Before Matt does his finishing welding, we are going to mock up the rear suspension and make sure everything fits. So tomorrow we should see those fat wheels under the car!!!
Great work. Those rails are going to look factory after some paint.
It appears you didn't have to narrow the passenger frame rail as much as the driver side?? Seems crazy you have to do that at all but I'm sure DSE has put theirs through enough punishment to prove it's fine.
Good catch!! Turns out the sides are not symmetrical because of the staggered shocks. We ran into this over and over during the build.
Those big wheels and tires were under the car today...at least for a little bit. We installed the axles in the housing, slipped on the disc brakes and mounted the wheels and tires. Next we attached the suspension arms. Then we rolled the axle under the car and hooked everything up. We needed to get the car at approximate ride height so we set the tires on wooden blocks. Once we had the axle located laterally and longitudinally, we installed the shocks so we could locate the mounts on the bottom of the shock tower brace. After tacking the shock mounts, we disassembled everything and Matt began the finish welding. He welded from 11AM to 6PM until he ran out of wire. More welding tomorrow, then it will be time to lay some seam sealer, paint the pieces, and begin putting the car back together. We are on the downhill run now.
Awesome! Can't believe you didn't show us a teaser pic of the meats under it though!
I sooo wanna do this to my 72.
Are you considering finishing bare sheetmetal underfloor and wheel house metal with SPI epoxy primer and then UPOL's "RAPTOR"
What size are the tires
Matt spent nearly all day yesterday welding, making some gussets for the shock tower brace and wire wheeling some areas in preparation for painting.
About seven years ago Matt had back surgery. All of the work of the past three weeks is beginning to take a toll on his poor back. One of the next jobs was installing the pumpkin in the axle assembly. He had a meeting this morning so, while he was gone, I pushed the container holding the pumpkin to the area below my overhead hoist. We then used the hoist to first lift the pumpkin and then lower it onto the axle. Saved both of our backs.
Now we were ready to paint the bottom. First we went over the entire bottom with brake cleaner to remove the remaining dirt. We used POR15 and began with their Prep & Ready material. We brushed on the Prep & Ready and let it sit for about 15 minutes. For paint, we decided to brush on the POR15 as we wanted really good penetration in the welds and other seam areas. This material has the best coverage of any type of paint material we have ever used. It only took a little over a pint to paint the entire bottom from the transmission back.
Tomorrow we are going to address some areas on the interior, paint the trunk area and use seam sealer on all seams. After that, we can finally begin to put the car back together. Won't be long now.
just awsom, your skills are many. great job.