Insurance for Project - Fire Danger

Edem_Alive

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 18, 2015
Montana
Hi guys,

We are being evacuated today due to a fire that doubled to about 10k acres overnight near our house. Might be too late to get insurance, but what is the best to get for a car that is in pieces in the garage?

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I'd specifically register the bit with your Homeowners (or Renters) insurance policy

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
Lowend said:
I'd specifically register the bit with your Homeowners (or Renters) insurance policy
will very likely not cover a car. although they might cover parts not on the car as personal property loss. proof of ownership, receipts, etc might be needed when you go to stake a claim.

hagerty will insure a project, but last i asked some years ago they wanted to know a general timeline for completion. they don't want to insure a perpetual shell. I'd call them and maybe other similar carriers. maybe not mention the local fires. Adverse selection is there problem lol

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Ive never seen a homeowners policy cover cars. You need a special separate policy from your car insurance company. Even then some auto policies wont cover projects. The car needs to be in one piece and preferably running. Im with State Farm and they couldn't cover my car. They didnt even have a way to give me a quote.

I went through this BS recently, my camaro is a regular 1970 camaro, ,in excellent shape(my car is not in excellent shape) the car is worth between 10-15K. This doesn't account the thousands of dollars I've put into the drivetrain and that im restofying it. All said and done it might be worth 15-20. To insure it for that you have to go through insurance companies that sell those kinds of policies. Like Bonzo said, Hagerty was one that i looked at. I ended up not doing it and just rolling the dice. Once its on the road state farm will pick it up as an antique.

One clever thing I saw someone do, he had several vehicles, he bought and sold vehicles occasionally, he created a business and carried insurance through the business for the vehicles.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
Homeowners covers cars, just don't know for all what situations.
My dad had a tree branch that came down on the neighbors car. The neighbors insurance paid for the repairs on the car.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I knew a guy that had a 69 Corvette, and his water heater caught fire in the garage, burnt up the corvette, he thought his homeowners would cover it, and it didnt. total loss on car.

So if they do cover, ive never seen it. If you think it does cover it, and your not sure, id call to verify coverage.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
Shizzle said:
Homeowners covers cars, just don't know for all what situations.
My dad had a tree branch that came down on the neighbors car. The neighbors insurance paid for the repairs on the car.

That most likely was a comprehensive automobile claim. There is absolutely no coverage on your HO policy for a licensed vehicle.

As to the OP's situation - a vehicle in pieces could be considered to be contents on the HO policy. It would depend on the policy.

Back in 1979, my dad had his roof collapse on his 7 stall garage and it damaged several vehicles. No coverage for the cars that were licensed, but they did cover the cars/trucks that were unlicensed.

If I wanted to be sure I've got coverage for a collector automobile - I'd have it insured with a collector car company.

brooksman9

Veteran Member
Jun 10, 2007
Olive Branch, MS
When I asked the Ins Co about getting it for mine they were not interested unless value was over 5K I think. Might have been a little higher. I think if you can provide pics to prove the worth they will do it. Got mine through Heacock. Good deals too. Agreed value.

Latest posts