Insurance for Project - Fire Danger

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
The Champ said:
That most likely was a comprehensive automobile claim. There is absolutely no coverage on your HO policy for a licensed vehicle.

As to the OP's situation - a vehicle in pieces could be considered to be contents on the HO policy. It would depend on the policy.

Back in 1979, my dad had his roof collapse on his 7 stall garage and it damaged several vehicles. No coverage for the cars that were licensed, but they did cover the cars/trucks that were unlicensed.

If I wanted to be sure I've got coverage for a collector automobile - I'd have it insured with a collector car company.
I suspect the tree damage was covered by the tree owners liability coverage since it damaged someone else's property

71RS/SS396

Veteran Member
Aug 26, 2008
Wake Forest NC
I had a house broken into and had engines, tools, and other car parts stolen from the garage. The insurance company did not cover any of the engines or parts since they were part of a titled vehicle.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
BonzoHansen said:
I suspect the tree damage was covered by the tree owners liability coverage since it damaged someone else's property

That's what I immediately thought until I reread what Shizzle had posted:

My dad had a tree branch that came down on the neighbors car. The neighbors insurance paid for the repairs on the car.

The only insurance the neighbor would have had was his own comprehensive auto insurance. It sure wouldn't be his own HO's policy liability.

You are correct that his dad's liability insurance would have covered it is his dad was liable - i.e. - his dad was was cutting the branch. If the wind blew the tree branch down - it's considered an act of God and his dad wouldn't have been liable.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
71RS/SS396 said:
I had a house broken into and had engines, tools, and other car parts stolen from the garage. The insurance company did not cover any of the engines or parts since they were part of a titled vehicle.

You said "engines".

I could possibly see them disallowing a claim for the engine that came out of the licensed car. But other engines should have been considered contents. Likewise for other car parts that did not come off the car in question.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
Neighbors HO policy paid for the repairs, from what he told us...

But he may have been mistaken, this guy would put up yellow construction caution tape around his front yard for Halloween to deter trick or treaters. To say he wasn't all there is an understatement

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
Shizzle said:
Neighbors HO policy paid for the repairs, from what he told us...

Probably has home and car with the same agent and didn't realize which policy actually covered the claim.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I am in this same boat as OP. I talked to State Farm the other day to ask if my 76 project is covered and they didn't have a good answer for me. The loose parts would be covered, but the project itself....??? More than likely it's not covered under our home owner's policy, so I will need to see what my options are. Replacement value of the stuff installed is damn near $20k, so I need some sort of protection.

mudtrux

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 7, 2000
central MN
I have State farm and have my not driven vehicles with a comp only plan (Fire theft and glass) costs me $56 2x a year. Nice piece of mind.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
mudtrux said:
I have State farm and have my not driven vehicles with a comp only plan (Fire theft and glass) costs me $56 2x a year. Nice piece of mind.

So you just have a separate auto policy that only has comprehensive coverage, interesting. I will ask my agent to look into this.

Can you PM me who your State Farm agent is so my agent could talk to them? It might be limited to state law, but this would be really helpful.

Latest posts