Insurance for Project - Fire Danger

Buickfunnycar

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
David79Z28 said:
Hagerty is awesome when you file a claim!!

You won't be dissappointed.

This is true...never, ever heard anyone with a bad claim experience with Hagerty.

Best of luck to the OP, we're still battling a 85,000 acre fire here that's been burning for well over 1.5 months and still only 60% contained...:(

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
76_TypeLT said:
But isn't it just based on the value of the parts on the car? I would think State Farm and I would need to agree on some sort of value, right?

I am going to call some others just to have multiple quotes. But I need some sort of coverage.

My understanding from my agent is that they have no way to enter it into their system, they wanted my business, but just couldnt do it because the value of a non-running car is subjective.

I would prefer just doing what Haggerty does, insure a blanket value and pay for that value. Id be curious how they pay claims, how they would negotiate a partial claim like damage and not a total loss.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
76_TypeLT said:
But isn't it just based on the value of the parts on the car? I would think State Farm and I would need to agree on some sort of value, right?

I am going to call some others just to have multiple quotes. But I need some sort of coverage.

A regular insurance carrier is not prepared to, and does not want to write a policy to cover a partially assembled vehicle.

They will look at it as "salvage" and that's where you get into the valuation problem.

I strongly urge you to look at only collector car policies that will accept a project car.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
FYI, I got a comp-only quote from Hagerty for $293 for $25,000 value. After that it's about $800/yr for full coverage once the car is driveable. No mileage restrictions, it just can't be my DD.

David79Z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 22, 2009
Greenville, TX
giggity said:
I would prefer just doing what Haggerty does, insure a blanket value and pay for that value. Id be curious how they pay claims, how they would negotiate a partial claim like damage and not a total loss.

When I had a claim, Hagerty sent an adjuster within two days. I had a check in a week.

I took the check, estimate, and car to a body shop who later found more issues. They immediately sent another check.

One of my cheap knockoff wheels needed to be replaced. They weren't made anymore. I got an estimate for 4 new weld draglites and new tires. With no hesitation, they sent me a 3rd check.

I had $10,000 in coverage and they paid $5,300 on my claim.

Hagerty even followed up with me during the repair process to make sure the body shop was meeting my expectations.

Latest posts