Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Robert M Mrozek, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

I have 1970 Camaro currently insured with Hagerty for $20K replacement and cost is $481/year with historical plates. I checked Grundy and for similar coverage it is $204/year. So I am looking to switch to Grundy. But when I was filling out the application I noticed a pull down menu that gave options for (a) stock, (b) hot rod, (c) custom/modified, and (d) ??. I tried (c)custom since my car has over bored engine, headers, B&M shifter and many other custom items and the Grundy quote jumped to $380. So for (a) stock it is $204/year. My question to the forum is if you've experienced this, have any advice, do those typical bolt on upgrades still qualify me as stock, other? I looked at forums for advice but cannot find any on this specific topic. Wondering if Hagerty assumed hot rod or custom when they first quoted me and that is why I am paying $481. Thanks in advance.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

When I set my replacement value w/ Grundy, I included all the upgrades I made to the car. Mine is classified as custom. I didn't fill out an on-line form, I talked w/ an agent. But I just said it was custom and gave him the value I wanted to insure for. They were cool w/ that and I got my coverage for about $210 yearly.
    Hope that helps.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can check with American Modern also.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I'm with American Collectors. Called them last month and told them I wanted to up the coverage to 35K. They asked why, I told them paint, interior, M21 Vintage Air and 12 bolt since value was set. Never asked anything, just said OK. Full coverage, tort etc. Still well under $300.

5. Robert M Mrozek

Thanks for advice. Will call Grundy. I am not surprised that the online quoting process might be a bit conservative. A phone call is better.

6. Robert M Mrozek

I will check out American Collectors. Thanks for tip!

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I use berkley classics insurance don't have any issue with them. 20K of coverage only costs me $205 a year.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Do these policies have the required liability coverage?

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Yes. It even has flatbed reimbursement. And if you prepaid for a show and broke down and didn't make it to the show, that's reimbursed too.