Insurance

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, May 7, 2021.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Wow, just... wow.
    Your own words; "But the real world experience boils down to the fact that insurance is written in such ways to deny coverage not include it."
    Then why would you even have it?
    I'm trying to give you multiple examples of real world experience and what usually goes wrong and why.
    It's a contract and they are legally bound to uphold it. If they are lied to, all bets are off. I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis and the more I deal with them, the more I despise them. But many of these problems are from outside sources when processing a claim.
    Sorry OP, another thread off the rails

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had Hagerty for 15 years. I sold a car back in December and changed the coverage on my two remaining 70 Zs. They asked if I wanted coverage for when my cars are trailered...like WTF???? Spoke to MK and they were even surprised as it's part of their standard agreed policy. Hagerty wanted an extra $200+ annually for when my cars are trailered. Yup, easy decision on my part. I realize not everyone trailers their cars, so my point is to check your policy details closely. Oh, and BTW, American Modern / MK has an excellent reputation for paying claims.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I'd like to see the section of the Hagerty policy that excludes coverage while being trailered...

I spent 10 years of my life in the commercial insurance business and I know how to read and comprehend a policy. There is no trailer exclusion in my Hagerty policy.

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Champ,

My Hagerty policy does not show a specific exclusion for towing...that was relayed to me when Hagerty called me to ask some questions about the coverage value changes I was requesting. As we were reviewing the cars and the coverage, the young lady asked if I would be interested in coverage while being trailered. I can send you my old policy..send me your email though via PM, but like I said, there is no specific exclusion, but Hagerty explained it was not part of their standard coverage.

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

^^^^If it is not in writing in your policy, what they "say" is meaningless. I would talk to a different Hagerty rep.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

In researching the question regarding trailer coverage, I sent the following info:

PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR COVERED AUTO

This is the actual “insuring agreement” for physical damage to your covered autos – the autos listed on your declaration page.

Read through that section – it will run into all of page 8 and most of page 9. Not until the very last bullet point are trailers/trailering even mentioned.

This is what it states:

VEHICLE TRAILER

"Your vehicle trailer" is covered only for physical loss or damage to the trailer itself.

We will cover "your vehicle trailer" for up to the amount of insurance, and less any applicable deductible, specified in the Declarations.

Coverage is subject to all of the applicable terms and conditions of this policy.

"Your vehicle trailer" means the vehicle trailer(s) shown in the Declarations.

7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Nobody asked about the trailer itself. The question was if the car is ON the trailer.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Understood.

But the policy does not EXCLUDE any coverage for the vehicle while being trailered.

An example of an exclusion that is listed on my Hagerty policy:

So for you folks that take your car to the drag strip, understand you have no coverage if your policy has a racing exclusion in your policy (it's pretty standard).

This is what the policy says about what is covered:

There is no exclusion listed for your vehicle while being towed.

9. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

That's what I pay and they allow you to go anywhere. Unlike the other ones which you can garage it or go to a car show. My car was hit at 7am in the morning going to work and they covered it with no problem.

Zstar likes this.
  10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty simple. I'm talking about the multitude of exclusions in the policy and all the subjective clauses open to interpretation. You know...the ones that make us....including me get our attorneys involved while some of these companies spin the big wheel.
    All you have is other peoples reviews and experiences to go by.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2021