intake manifold selection

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by flowjoe, Jan 11, 2010.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What after market intakes will fit under a stock flat hood? With what sort of an air filter/cleaner

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

both a victor jr and TM-1 will fit under the hood both with holley carbs and 14x3 air cleaners

3. Spot_remover

Spot_remover Veteran Member Gold Member

I thought a Vic Jr was a big tall high rise?

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the Eddy RPM Air Gap with a juice plate. Tight fit with an Eddy drop base bit it fits. I had to trim the air scoop bolts.

5. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

it gets real tight with high rise intakes, but you can work it out with help from all here, who have been there done that.....

6. chevyseve71

chevyseve71 BANNED

edelbrock RPM Air-Gap is more or less the best you can get for the street in terms of power. It will also fit under a stock hood with a drop base or just no carb at all.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What do you have for a carb and air cleaner now?
    What's the specs on the engine?
    Do you want a dual or single plane intake?

Weiand Action Plus (Dual plane, Edelbrock Performer clone) fits with a Q-jet and the stock 4-bbl air cleaner.
    It's not the best intake made (performance wise) but it is probably the best bolt-in direct replacement for the factory piece for use on a mild street-driven car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fair questions Twisted_Metal. I had picked up the short block from a friend (previously run in a '77 Corvette for about 500 miles - he ran it with a Performer RPM and aluminum heads with a 600 CFM Holley - 10.25:1 CR putting out ~350HP - I got a smoking deal on the short block) with the intention of bolting on stock style heads, intake, carb and exhaust manifolds on the '71 RS/SS listed in my sig. The idea was to replicate factory appearance and hook up all the AC stuff again. Long story short - I ran into trouble with the parts I had on hand not being any good or costing too much to bring up to par. All I had for the top end that was really usable was the factory air cleaner and a couple of Qjets:bowtie:. So I am rethinking the project.

I've elected to go with Aluminum heads (Edelbrock E-Streets w/64cc combustion chambers - what a deal those are) as that's similar to how he had the engine set up (I know it works). So now I am looking for an intake that will clear the stock hood and work with the AC brackets (exactly as you have yours set up:)). I have a "110" intake here (and I know it fits since GM installed them) so I measured it and found the Air Gaps and RPMs to be too tall - same with the stealths. Plus I couldn't figure out if I could make the AC bracket work with those. I had it narrowed down to the Weiand Action Plus and the Edelbrock Performer.

Your post is a big help as your car (that is your car in the photo - right?) is set up exactly as I am envisioning doing the RS/SS (i.e. factory layout with AC and an aluminum intake with headers).

So which intake is that on your car and what headers did you run? In another thread it has been suggested that Dynatech musclemaxx, Summit ceramic coated, Doug Thorely Tri-Y's and 1-7/8th hedman hustlers will all fit.

Thanks for your input.

9. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

with the gm intake you will only loose maybe 10 hp, and thats above 4 grand, so i would just run the gm alum intake.

10. DEPORTU73

DEPORTU73 Member

Aftermarket intake manifolds

:bowtie: Adequate hood clearance was definitely overlooked by GM. I had to go to cowl induction hood for my Performer and Holley combo.