intake manifold selection

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by flowjoe, Jan 11, 2010.

1. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not without a drop base air cleaner base if you want to use a 14 x 3 filter

2. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

I thought of something. Being that i have a single plane intake manifold, if i want to lauch the car then it means that i have to put te foot on the brakes and raise my RPM to 2500 in order to build enough speed to get a quick start at a red light. Does this make any sense?

3. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

So has anybody got a performer rpm with a street demon to fit under the hood? My 350 with performer and Edelbrock 600 is close with a Moroso 14x3 with drop base (don’t know how much), the LT-1 with rpm and street demon looks a lot taller. It’s a Z/28 so it should theoretically have the lower motor mounts already, if they haven’t been changed too. From what I’ve read it sounds like some people say rpm will fit and some that it won’t. I don’t think the street demon is any taller than anything else.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Nope it just means that the engine makes less torque at that RPM and lower. If you have a stock converter a single plane will have a more noticeable lag compared to when you would have a high stall converter. I know that flash stall is higher than if you brake stall the engine. You can also kill the good top end power of a single plane intake if the exhaust is corked up wit crappy mufflers, then you lose at both ends of the power curve.

5. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Ahhh!!! Thanks for the precision!

6. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

So, yes, if you want to launch hard with a single plane, you’d be better off trying to get it up higher before leaving. Whether you have a high stall converter or not. Sooner you can get the rpms up, sooner you start adding acceleration, faster.

7. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Ok, i'll lead up with another question. It sounds stupid maybe...I have an automatic shifter and on the plate you have the number 2. What is that for? To go straight into second? I fell on it once at the gas station and as soon as I pushed the gas it was spinning static loll. Does this damage the tranny? Sorry if im off topic.

8. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

I have crushes for mufflers. I don't know how that helps however. I don't know how they work. Its not stock that I know for sure.

1980RS likes this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

It is this, the more restrictive the exhaust is the more HP you will lose at mostly the top end. Case in point, I went to the track with my Camaro that had a really nice 396 Sq. Port engine in it with lots of goodies. I made the 1st run with the 2.5 pipes that ran into some cyclone turbo mufflers, the car ran [email protected] Went back to the pits and dropped the exhaust and with no other changes the car went [email protected] Pretty dramatic drop from just the exhaust don't you think?

Francesco likes this.
  10. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Yes indeed! But then are you saying that with crushes you have more low end power even if its a single plane? Are stock exhausts less restrictive than crushes?