intake manifold selection

Youngsta

Aug 26, 2014
gardena, ca.
So has anybody got a performer rpm with a street demon to fit under the hood? My 350 with performer and Edelbrock 600 is close with a Moroso 14x3 with drop base (don’t know how much), the LT-1 with rpm and street demon looks a lot taller. It’s a Z/28 so it should theoretically have the lower motor mounts already, if they haven’t been changed too. From what I’ve read it sounds like some people say rpm will fit and some that it won’t. I don’t think the street demon is any taller than anything else.

Dan, I got a Street Demon to fit on a Weiand stealth with Edelbrock drop base with 14 x 2 1/2 filter used proform bowtie wingnut. measured playdough less than a 1/4 inch from flat hood. Not sure if RPM intake is taller than Weiand Stealth. I even used the shortest spacer ring from Spectre 3 piece air cleaner kit. The electric choke on Street demon is massive. It should fit if you use a bolt instead of wingnut if RPM is less than a 1/4 inch taller than stealth. This was on a 1971.

Francesco

Veteran Member
Youngsta, Does it help if I have a hoodscoop?
So has anybody got a performer rpm with a street demon to fit under the hood? My 350 with performer and Edelbrock 600 is close with a Moroso 14x3 with drop base (don’t know how much), the LT-1 with rpm and street demon looks a lot taller. It’s a Z/28 so it should theoretically have the lower motor mounts already, if they haven’t been changed too. From what I’ve read it sounds like some people say rpm will fit and some that it won’t. I don’t think the street demon is any taller than anything else.

Dan, the engine is stock with I believe the lower motor mounts. Im gonna find out next week when I install the RPM. I cant wait to try that on the streets to see exactly how it responds.

DanSaco

Apr 5, 2019
Dan, I got a Street Demon to fit on a Weiand stealth with Edelbrock drop base with 14 x 2 1/2 filter used proform bowtie wingnut. measured playdough less than a 1/4 inch from flat hood. Not sure if RPM intake is taller than Weiand Stealth. I even used the shortest spacer ring from Spectre 3 piece air cleaner kit. The electric choke on Street demon is massive. It should fit if you use a bolt instead of wingnut if RPM is less than a 1/4 inch taller than stealth. This was on a 1971.
Rpm isn’t gonna fit then, Stealth is really low.

Francesco

Veteran Member
About the manifold, I read that some of them come with the spot for the EGR valve. I have the original performer intake and I don't think I have the EGR valve installed because its supposed to be a non-egr intake. Anyways, does the EGR take away horses? Or not?

DanSaco

Apr 5, 2019
Well the motor is in, hood is still off but I can tell it’s not going to clear. I have a drop base that looks to be 1.75” drop, can’t find anything shorter. I don't want to order a new one of its not more drop than that. Idk how much more drop I could use before the carbs almost blocked off anyway. Maybe a flat air cleaner lid, my old moroso is kind of raised in the middle. Along with a 14x2.5” filter element. But I don’t see it working. So I’ve been looking at new intakes. Looks like Weiand may have stopped making the stealth for sbc. Action plus or street warrior I guess are short. Or the regular old performer. RPM is about 4.75”, so I probably need to get down around 4”. Know for sure once I get the hood back on.
Also, the street demon says it works on square bore or spread bore, but I don’t see how it can work when the plenum has the divider, the secondaries (goggle valve) are kind of one piece, it’s essentially like a three barrel carb.

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
Any updates of "real world" usage for a Vortec Style intake manifold, carb and air cleaner fitment under a stock 1980 Z28 hood. I am not entirely happy with my current combination. The intake is a Jegs 331 series dual plane,(taller than I expected), Holley 4160 and a drop base with a 2.7" tall 14" element. I also use a K&N air extreme lid on top. The hood closes however the od of the air cleaner lid slightly rubs on a couple areas under the hood and the lid basically sits on the top of the vent tubes.

Attachments

• DSC06379.JPG
    DSC06379.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 178
Jun 21, 2021
I know this thread is from a couple years back but its still pertinent. So youre saying you cannot get the hood clearance you have using a 4.67" intake manifold, but yet the factory Winters intake is taller and somehow fits? I dont know the exact measurements of a Winters Z28 intake but I know its close to 4.5" front and 5.25" rear. If someone wants to tell me how to measure it, I will do that.

You have me concerned about my 12366573 vortec high rise being an issue.

Latest posts