Interesting 383 LS vs SBC video

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by biker, Jun 5, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Well said G. Knowing the results that you get out of way less cubes, I'm sure you could put together a combo that would be a lot more comparable.
    The cam size, head size and valve train stability stuck out to me as disadvantages for the Gen 1, but you have the dyno experience and big math brain!

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

IMO We're over thinking this...lol

If you want an LS and are willing to spend the 15k to put one in, by all means do so! They're great engines.

If you want a SBC, then put one of those in. They're great engines too.

Just build the car the way you're going to enjoy driving it.

dale68z and berg2695 like this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Dont you dare over-simplify this. You are taking the fun out of watching all the ways that we can appease our egos by trying to validate our own choices.

berg2695 likes this.
  4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Oops... my bad. :shy:

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, I think we saw the same things, so easy to make power these days, but so many choices, easier to miss the mark as well.

6. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

My .02,

The engines & components MUST be matched as CLOSE as possible for a viable comparison!

Short Block/Bottom end:
    Match the compression

Top End:
    Match the head intake runners sizes, match the valve sizes, match the cam lift/duration, etc., match intake/Carb (if possible re: LS usually has FI), match the headers

If the comparison is not within 1-3% variance of the above Gen 1 components to LS components the comparison is really just another crap shoot with loaded diceā€¦

7. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

if I wanted a pro tour car capable of driving across country in any weather Id build it with an LS motor.

For a fair weather only hot rod having an at times temperamental, lumpy, carbureted sbc makes it a little more visceral and more about the journey vs the destination.

It's funny cause I have no choke on either car and drive both down into the 40 degree range. Starting either is a procedure shall we say but it's part of the experience.

I've also have an old carbureted Ducati 900SS that has a set of Keihin race carbs with no choke. The long intake tracts combined with 41mm carbs mean you better have a full battery to bring it to life but hell if i wanted to just push a button and ride away I would have bought a Honda.

Biggest advantage to me in having an LS motor is the ability to run a stock height hood.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

A Ducati! So that's where the DesmoEd comes from...

9. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

Ducati's are sooo cool!!!

10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

yes sir, I figure you can relate.

My Pops didn't like bikes so I had to wait to 18 to sell my car and go to 2 wheels on ironically a Honda. Had a few inline 4 Suzuki's, a TL1000, and a Softail Night Train since then. Being that I'm still on wife #1 I can luckily now afford to have several:) Currently I have a 2012 H-D Street Glide, 2018 BMW R9T and the '92 Ducati - funny that they are all twins - a V, an L, and a boxer