Interior refinishing

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by balloonpilot, Jul 30, 2020.

1. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

This may have been discussed before, but in all of the reading and searching I have done over the past few months, I have more questions than answers, and I have been home during all of this Covid, so that is a lot of reading/research!

My 80z has a tan interior. The best guess I have is that the Sem product color to match is Camel.
    I have read about cleaning, prep spray, adhesion promoter, primer, spray paint and dye.

What parts are painted?
    What parts are dyed?
    Which adhesion promoter?
    Filler primer?
    Is there a way to repair some of these pieces rather than replace them?

Is there a place that I can find step by step instructions answering all the above questions?
    Can one of you please help? I am so confused.

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am not an expert by any means, but have / am going through a similar situation. First of all, SEMs products are great, but their palette is limited and mostly available only in rattle can. For the dark green interior in my 70Z, I've been using Axalta Cromax Mastertint dye with very good results and they have a very wide palette selection. The downside, (for some) is that it's not available in rattle can...but that's okay because I prefer to shoot out of a gun. Either route you go, (SEMs or Mastertint), follow the tech sheet for best results.

3. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

plenty of help on utube etc. SEM has video instructions, as always prep is the most important step

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Just got done with converting my all oyster/grey interior to all black. I used SEM paint on everything that was reused. Rear seats, sail panels, bottom rear quarters, kick panels, A-pillar trim, all headliner trim, metal dash portion, lower dash and steering column. Everything was washed with soap and water, sprayed and wiped with grease/wax remover, sprayed with adhesion promoter, then finally color coated. All of it turned out beyond my expectations.

The dash pad, console, door panels, headliner, package tray and carpet were all replaced with new.

5. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming!

is the sem paint and dye the same product?