INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
2 bolts and a BFH

Great! Thanks ! I tried to read every thread I could find through the search function and that does seem to be the common approach. What confused me was some people talking about removing the fecking steering column and I’m thinking why the feck would I wanna do that?

So after removing the two bolts, there’s enough telescoping action in the column to collapse it (enter BFH) to the point that it pulls off of the spines, and it comes out? Is that correct?

I’m trying to think of things to do while the engine is out, and this seems like a good one, replace motor mounts too. The car drives OK but it’s got 240,000 miles on it.

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
So after removing the two bolts, there’s enough telescoping action in the column to collapse it (enter BFH) to the point that it pulls off of the spines, and it comes out? Is that correct?
Yes, the shaft maybe a bit subourn but it will loosen up. on the steering box side may help to finesse the rag joint with a pry bar or large screw driver.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Yes, the shaft maybe a bit subourn but it will loosen up. on the steering box side may help to finesse the rag joint with a pry bar or large screw driver.
Much appreciated Bandit!
I read in one thread where the guy removed 2 steering gear bolts, and loosened the third to allow wiggle in that end. Do you think that would help get the shaft out?

Latest posts