Internet Router Questions?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 3_z28camaro, Jan 17, 2007.

1. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I need some help understanding all of this router stuff. I am pretty basic when it comes to the complexities of the internet and the way it works so please keep it simple.

I live in an apartment and my roommate would like to share the internet connection. I have a 3 meg cable internet connection hooked up to my computer in my room. No internet is his room. We called the internet provider, Charter, and the Charter guy said that our best bet would be to get a router. Now how do these router things work? I have heard of them before but I have never had to mess with them. Plus how secure are these things? What is the best, wireless or other types? See, I really do not know much about all of this stuff. :confused:

Sorry for being computer illiterate. I rather rebuild a small block than have to try to figure out the internet. Thanks for any help!

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Think of a router as a cable splitter that allows you to have two TV's connected to the same cable outlet.

You simply plug your current cable into the router, than run a cable to both your computer and the other computer.

Now that will probably not make you happy, as you'd have a piece of cat5 (computer cable) running from your room to his room - kind of messy, but the cheapest, most secure way to do things.

Now the second method (without rewiring the apartment) is to get a wireless router (assuming that your roommate has a wireless card in his laptop/computer.

With the wireless router, you have the option of making it "secure" by putting a security code/password into it. Nothing is really secure, but I would strongly recommend you do so to at least keep the hacking illiterate at a disadvantage.

I'm not a computer guru by any means, but I think that's pretty much what you need to consider.

3. wyntek1

wyntek1 Veteran Member

Yeah you can buy a wireless router for less than $50. A wireless network card for your roomate will be around $20.

The wireless router will still have a couple ports so you can still be hardwired to the router. It's all pretty easy to setup since the components do almost all the work. My suggestion is to spend a little extra for a good router though. Stick with Netgear or Linksys. You can go cheaper on the wirless card.

And as far as security - you will be about the same.