Investors

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
issue with precious metals to me. when your buying, it's spot plus a premium. When your selling the dealers aren't paying as much on the premium, so you over pay when buying and under sell when selling. the dealers make all the bucks unless the metals spike in price.
Then you better be buying from a reputable firm because there's a lot of fake gold and silver out there. jim

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
How about some investment in mining? Bitcoin mining that is. What a load of garbage. Talk about some spin:

"In many aspects, Bitcoin mining is comparable to mining for gold. Crypto mining (in Bitcoin's case) is a computer operation that creates new Bitcoin
Bitcoin mining is the process by which Bitcoin transactions are validated digitally on the Bitcoin network and added to the blockchain ledger. It is done by solving complex cryptographic hash puzzles to verify blocks of transactions that are updated on the decentralized blockchain ledger.
If one person in your pool succeeds at completing the hash, you split the value of the Bitcoin. This increases your chances of solving a hash."

moms1978

Veteran Member
Aug 13, 2008
Man Cave
The price of paper gold and silver is down. However one most don't consider is premium. With premiums silver never really went under $25. Good luck finding silver eagles or gold maples at the current spot paper price because it aint gonna happen. Yeah silver might be listed at $18 on cnbc.com or yahoo finance but you aint gon be able to buy silver maples for less than $25 -$30,, maybe if you order hundreds of them you can get a slightly better premium but thats it out here in the real world of physical metal investing. The amount of disconnect between the paper etf price like SLV and the price to actually buy the physical metal grows a little each day.

Last edited:

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
Call me crazy, dumb, etc but I love my savings account, and with the inflation and interest rates going crazy, cd's. I know I will not beat inflation, I also know I will not lose any sleep. I tried the investment merry go 'round. Not for me.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I'm a lot like Zstar. I'm retired and don't have enough money that I can afford to lose any of it. Mine is stuck in low interest CDs. They earn only a few dollars, but I never lose any of my principal. Secure investments pay very little, but you can't lose like you can in the Stock Market.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
I have been in and out of the stock markets and other investments several times over the years. Just a few months ago I more than doubled my money on a cybercoin (could have been five times if I had acted quicker but oh well) One thing I learned very early on is do not use money you need for anything else! Once you invest it in something, consider it gone until you cash out, hopefully with a profit but far too often at a loss.

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
IMO, Jimmac is dead on for physical gold- brokers force you to overpay when you buy, and under-profit when you sell.
If he pulls all of his roth $ out, wouldn't he then lose all the tax free growth advantages the roth offers, plus tax & penalties on he Roth w/d itself.

There must be gold etf/mutual fund or something he could buy in his roth
Yes. You don't get tax-free growth of any physical asset, really (well, the $250k/$500k of your primary home on its sale, but...)

scrapmetal- what are your goals/desires for the money in the Roth?

scrapmetal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 5, 2007
Cleburne,Texas
IMO, Jimmac is dead on for physical gold- brokers force you to overpay when you buy, and under-profit when you sell.

Yes. You don't get tax-free growth of any physical asset, really (well, the $250k/$500k of your primary home on its sale, but...)

scrapmetal- what are your goals/desires for the money in the Roth?
I was thinking of making more for retirement but I'm going to leave it where it's at .They try to tell ya it's Physical precious metals but you get to see pictures of it.Bs ......