iPhone 5 and Car Audio / Video Question...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by EricsZ28, Mar 20, 2013.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So, I'm looking for a new double-din Head Unit for my daily driver. I really like some of the newer Pioneer DVD head units (i.e. AVH-x3500BHS). As I start to get into the details, I start to notice something - they all say iPhone 4/4s compatible (not iPhone 5). Those models that are iPhone 5 compatible have lots of notes.

Apparently, if you want to use the on-screen display, you have to download an app (no big deal), and then buy this:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IV202AV

and this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD825ZM/A/lightning-to-vga-adapter

and of course I will want a spare one of these dedicated to the car:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_472LTN2USB/Apple-Lightning-to-USB-cable.html?tp=47586

That is $170 ADDITIONAL to get the iPhone 5 apps and videos to display on any head unit I can find. Thanks apple!

Besides factory head units, does anyone know of any aftermarket head units that work with the iPhone 5 for both Audio and Video?

2. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

3. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^This

I just had the AVH-x2400BT installed in my Trailblazer last week. I like it a lot, but I'm also an Android user.

You could wait to see if Pioneer comes out with an iP5 unit next year

4. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK, I'll ask.....

What is it on your Iphone 5 that you want to view on the screen?

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My guess.....

The music library to surf through it via the new stereo screen rather then the Iphone itself ??

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm so glad that they are coming out with headunits that work with Android devices. That's honestly the only reason I even bought another iPod was because, at the time, there was still no support for Android phones or for non-iPod MP3 players. I really like the HU in my truck and keep my phone tethered to it via bluetooth for the music when I'm in there.

7. EricsZ28

Yeah, chalk one up for the droid OS on this one...

Yes, partly.

According to Crutchfield, the apps won't display on the screen either. So, when you have Pandora playing, you will hear it, but not see the station/artist/song/album art. Same is true with some of the navigation apps. The photo's and video's on the phone won't work either.

When I had my iPhone 4, I bought the composite video output cable and ran that to my previous DVD head unit. I actually used it more than I thought I would. The kids and I would watch youtube videos while the wife shopped. With my old setup, I could turn off the dash display, and output movies from my iPhone to rear screens. The sound would play over the speakers... I'm sure a dual-zone head unit would add even more options.

8. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine doesn't, it's all about the iphone/pad. The key thing I wanted was the USB drive. I don't have a huge music collection (about 10G) so I spent $12 on a thumb drive and I put all my music on that. I went with the 2400 model since it was last years model and it was on sale. I only paid $250 for it. For me the DVD player was just a bonus, and probably wont use it much.

9. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wish they would just make the use of between both devices the same. My Pioneer deck can stream pandora from iOS and Android however it will only stream from iOS using a cable and from Android using Bluetooth.

10. EricsZ28

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm going to try the Pioneer 3500 model. I picked up a repackaged one from the Crutchfield outlet for the price of Sonic Electronix :cool: I'm not spending the coin on the adapters for now - I can always add those later.

Once I get it all hooked up, I'll try to post an update and post some pics...