Is an Optima battery worth the $$$$?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by gordonquixote, May 8, 2007.

1. meatwad

meatwad New Member

The Optima batterys in several of the machines at work are over 10 years old and still work fine.

I wont talk about it who it is YET but there is a battery thats coming out, with all the attributes of a typical AGM glass mat battery that will have 1.8 times the power to wieght ratio. A customer of ours is making them. The first prototypes hold 680amp load for 15seconds while holding 10vDC and have an RC of 120, all this in a 6lb package. Pricing however will blow most people away, easily in the 500+ range, but they have thier uses(like a race car thats already as light as possible).

2. BIGBADBOWTIE

BIGBADBOWTIE Veteran Member

If you take a close look at some of the outlaw promods. They are using battery packs from cordless drills to power part of the car.:)

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

You are correct. A lot of us have went to that to run sensors, gauges, cockpit lighting ect ect. That way you can use a smaller battery for starting only. I myself have not, and probably will not switch. I'm already too light for weigh in, so it's just more crap to do & worry about for each pass.