Is it me or are people generally more prone to negativity on social media more these days?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

We used to be criticized on Nasty for enforcing rules that prevented members from attacking each other. I'm glad that I can log in here and there's still civility.

All the newer social media and comment sections are a mess of arguments, attacks, hate and other nonsense. Plenty of places where that's acceptable but it seems like it's everywhere all the time.

I don't use any of the newer social media platforms but I have kids who do. Teaching them how to avoid the bullshit and what's not acceptable is an insane challenge. They're great kids and I do my best to protect them but in today's society, it's a never ending challenge.

z2880 likes this.
  2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sound like the "get off of my lawn" guy but here goes...I've been in software development since the early 80's. Of course the "internet" already existed, but there were no browsers, etc. It took about 20 commands to connect to another computer (the internet) and another 10 to download a single file. It wasn't easy, but you had to have at least half a brain to even get it to work. I sometimes wish my generation would have kept it a secret and not made it so easy. Then again.....I would have never been able to complete my car without this forum.....so I guess you take the good with the bad!

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I miss LEVI

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've thought about browsing under an account on public groups under an alias, only because there are some Whackjobs in some of these groups. I don't need some random Jackoff showing up in my front yard wanting to get beat with a ball bat, lol.

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

We still have a small forum, pretty much dead now, but back in it's heyday all kinds of internet bully's joined and came there just to cause trouble. I really like to tease people like that, some even threatened me and the owner but you know what? when I confronted them in person they were like mice, squeak squeak. I am not a facebook liker nor am I on there, I have better things to do with my time. A lot of people are right that facebook is ruining society as people cannot be civil with each other anymore which is pretty sad to me.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I know several people who go online specifically to try and get other people upset. They actually brag about it. Maybe I can't stop them, but they no longer do it at work. One made the mistake of posting a REALLY nasty comment and mentioned where he worked. HR had a talk with him and he had to pull it. The company is not the government. You don't have freedom of speech if you mention the company.

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

frankly I dont think we can even begin to calculate the amount of societal damage social media is causing and will cause as time goes on.

JMHO....

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Many people use Facebook and other social sites simply because they enjoy arguments and disagreements. That is their purpose for being there so we can expect to see a lot of that kind of behavior there. Years ago people had phone lines that were party lines and had their "gatherings" to have a place to argue and spread gossip. Today the social networking sites provide that outlet that many people need.
    If you enjoy what you find on these sites, then enjoy it. If you don't like it, look elsewhere as there are many options available.

9. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

what's social media? wife does fb, even set me a acct but she uses it because I refuse to get on it. so shes got 2 fb accts. my 31 year old daughter deleted her fb and other social media accts because of the idiots on them. jim

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Used to see this on Topix on about every thread. Maybe first three posts were on topic then the BS started.