Is My Cam Used/Damaged

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by patwhac, Oct 26, 2014.

1. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

I did go dot to dot on the gears when I removed the timing chain, but the crank did get rotated by my air compressor when I was doing a valve spring with the timing chain still disconnected. As long as I line the dots up again when putting the chain back I'm fine right?

And I will get new lifters, I just thought that since the engine hasn't been run yet (only hand cranked) that the lifters it came with are still 100% new. Wrong?

2. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

The cam/lifters in your first post have been run before, maybe not by you, but they've been run before and broken in together. If you didn't mark the lifters to the specific lobe they came off of, then you need new lifters, period.

3. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

The lifters in my first post that came with that cam (the one from that "friend") were returned promptly with the cam. I bought a brand new cam which is the one currently in the engine.

The lifters that came with the crate engine from GM have never been run, they have only been present when the engine was turned over by hand. When I took them out to install the cam, I put the rocker, pushrod, and lifter for each valve in a separate bag.

But I'm guessing I should upgrade to new lifters anyways is what you are all saying?

4. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Swapping a cam is a lot of work. I personally would not take any chances on any used or suspect parts. I would buy new lifters with for that new cam and the correct matching springs. Liberally on the assembly lube and the correct break in oil.

5. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

Patwhac, I would recommend you consider the Howards Direct Lube lifters. They provide more oil to protect the cam lobes/lifters. Extra protection with the Voodoo cam, with it's aggressive ramps, would be a good idea.

Attached Files:

6. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

These look great, will do! Already have the Howard springs recommended by night rider!

Will post pics soon!

7. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

OK the engine is in the car!

Me and my buddy finished the valve springs and timing chain, then dropped her in on Sunday. I will take pictures this afternoon!

Anyone care to comment on this?

I thought as long as the gears are dot to dot when putting the timing chain on I am good . . . Please say yes!!:eek:

8. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

As long as the dot on the crank gear is at 12:00 you are good to go. If the dot on the cam gear is at 6:00 you are at top dead center on #6 cylinder, if the dot on the cam gear is at 12:00 you are at top dead center on #1 cylinder.

9. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

Got it what a relief!! I though I might have done it wrong and had to pull the engine out again :(

Thanks!

This means that I have to make sure that #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke (intake and exhaust valves closed) when installing the distributor, not #6 correct?

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, face the pump slot to the front/rear of the car like |, then take the dist and face the rotor contact part that hits the 8 dist cap posts to the front of the car and drop it in and it should swing right in. Then turn the dist a 1/16" past #1 post so it fires.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014